MBS vs FEM: Differences Explained for PF Users

• Thread starter abaqus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fem
In summary, MBS software is necessary for accurately simulating the behavior of systems with multiple rigid bodies, while FEM programs are better suited for simulating deformable materials.
abaqus
Hello PF Users!

First of all spent a good time at forum.

I'm a newbie about this topics but i wonder why we need MBS (Multibody Simulation) Simpack, Adams etc.?

Why the FEM programs don't fullfill the MBS capabilities?
abaqus

Engineering news on Phys.org
userMultibody simulation (MBS) is used to simulate the motion and interaction of multiple rigid bodies in a system. FEM programs, on the other hand, are used to simulate the behavior of deformable materials in a system. As such, FEM programs are not suited for MBS applications since they cannot accurately model the motion of rigid bodies. Simpack, Adams, and other MBS software are specifically designed to capture the motion and interaction of multiple rigid bodies.

1. What is the difference between MBS and FEM?

MBS (Multibody System) and FEM (Finite Element Method) are both numerical methods used for simulating mechanical systems. However, MBS is more suitable for modeling systems with rigid bodies, while FEM is better suited for systems with deformable bodies.

2. Which method should I use for my simulation?

The choice between MBS and FEM depends on the type of system you are modeling. If your system involves a lot of rigid bodies, MBS would be a better choice. If your system has deformable bodies or complicated geometries, FEM would be more appropriate.

3. Can I use both MBS and FEM in the same simulation?

Yes, it is possible to combine MBS and FEM in a simulation. This is known as a co-simulation, where MBS is used to model the rigid bodies and FEM is used to model the deformable bodies.

4. What are the advantages of using MBS over FEM?

MBS is generally faster and more efficient for simulating systems with rigid bodies. It also requires less computational power and can handle larger systems with more degrees of freedom.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using FEM?

FEM can be more computationally expensive and time-consuming compared to MBS. It also requires more expertise and experience to properly set up and analyze a simulation using FEM.