MC (multiple choice) question about total internal reflection

In summary,The necessary conditions for the light ray to travel along the core of the fiber are that n1 > n2 and angle i should be greater than a certain value.
cainko

Homework Statement

There is an optical fiber.A light ray enter it at i°.Total internal reflection occur at X.
What are the necessary conditions for the light ray to travel along the core of the fiber?
(I have canceled B and D already.)
A.n1>n2 and angle i should be greater than a certain value.
C.n1>n2 and angle i should be less than a certain value.

Homework Equations

sinθa/sinθg=1/n; sinc=1/n;n1/n2=v1/v2

The Attempt at a Solution

For t.i.r. θ>c
r=90°-θ
r<90°-c
But I don't understand how I can determine i is greater than or less than c(certain value) because i and r are not the same?
Thank you so much!:)
cainko
(Sorry for my bad drawing)

Attachments

• tir.png
    tir.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

What's an MC?

cainko said:
(I have canceled B and D already.)
A.n1>n2 and angle i should be greater than a certain value.
C.n1>n2 and angle i should be less than a certain value.

Why do you say that n1 > n2? You might review your notes or textbook.

But I don't understand how I can determine i is greater than or less than c(certain value) because i and r are not the same?

In order for total internal reflection to occur at the boundary between n1 and n2, does the angle of incidence θ (in your drawing) need to be greater than the critical angle or less than the critical angle?

What happens to the angle θ if the angle i is increased?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What's an MC?
MC is multiple choice question:)

TSny said:
Why do you say that n1 > n2? You might review your notes or textbook.
In order for total internal reflection to occur at the boundary between n1 and n2, does the angle of incidence θ (in your drawing) need to be greater than the critical angle or less than the critical angle?

What happens to the angle θ if the angle i is increased?

I am so sorry!:( I draw the figure wrongly!
for t.i.r. light must travel from low speed to high sped,for light ray:larger n --> smaller n ==>n1>n2

θ will increase when angle i increased??
sini/sinr = n ; sini increase-->sinr decrease==>θ=90°-r, r decrease θ increase?
thx so much!

Attachments

• tir.png
    tir.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 395
cainko said:
I am so sorry!:( I draw the figure wrongly!
for t.i.r. light must travel from low speed to high sped,for light ray:larger n --> smaller n ==>n1>n2
OK, no problem.
sini/sinr = n ; sini increase-->sinr decrease

sin(i)/sin(r) = n implies that sin(i) = n sin(r). So, if sin(i) increases what happens to sin(r)?

TSny said:
OK, no problem.sin(i)/sin(r) = n implies that sin(i) = n sin(r). So, if sin(i) increases what happens to sin(r)?

decreases?

The equation sin(i) = n sin(r) says that sin(i) and sin(r) are directly proportional to one another. If one increases so does the other.

TSny said:
The equation sin(i) = n sin(r) says that sin(i) and sin(r) are directly proportional to one another. If one increases so does the other.
Oh, so r<90°-c ---> i is also<90°-c ?? so i is less than certain value?

cainko said:
Oh, so r<90°-c ---> i is also<90°-c ??
No. You are right that the condition r < 90 - c will produce total internal reflection at X.
But that doesn't imply that the angle i must also be less than 90 - c. You are very close to the answer.

Let rc = 90 - c. So, when r = rc, θ = c. You correctly stated that whenever r is less than rc, you will get total internal reflection at X.

When r = rc, the angle i will have some value which we can call ic. How could you find ic if you knew rc? Does ic equal rc?

What is the condition on angle i such that you get total internal reflection at X?

TSny said:
No. You are right that the condition r < 90 - c will produce total internal reflection at X.
But that doesn't imply that the angle i must also be less than 90 - c. You are very close to the answer.

Let rc = 90 - c. So, when r = rc, θ = c. You correctly stated that whenever r is less than rc, you will get total internal reflection at X.

When r = rc, the angle i will have some value which we can call ic. How could you find ic if you knew rc? Does ic equal rc?

What is the condition on angle i such that you get total internal reflection at X?

as i increase when r increase, to make r< rc , i should be<ic too?

cainko said:
as i increase when r increase, to make r< rc , i should be<ic too?
Yes.

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray traveling through a denser medium reaches the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle, causing the light to be completely reflected back into the denser medium.

2. What is the critical angle in total internal reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs. It is determined by the refractive indices of the two mediums involved in the reflection.

3. What are some real-life applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is used in various optical devices such as prisms, fiber optic cables, and binoculars. It is also used in some medical imaging techniques and in underwater communication systems.

4. Can total internal reflection occur in all mediums?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium. It cannot occur if the light travels from a less dense medium to a denser medium.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect total internal reflection?

The angle of incidence must be greater than the critical angle for total internal reflection to occur. If the angle of incidence is less than the critical angle, refraction will occur instead of total internal reflection.