1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MCAT physics problem please help

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    Two springs with equal masses attached but with different spring constants (k) oscillate with the same amplitude. The spring with the larger spring constant (k) has:

a. a higher maximum velocity
    b. a larger maximum displacement
    c. a lower total energy
    d. a lower frequency of oscillation
    e. a longer period of oscillation

I'm pretty certain that it is not C, D, E based on the equations for both period and frequency and the formula for Potential Energy = 1/2 kx^2

I think it is between A and B. Please help :) thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Is there a difference between "displacement" and "amplitude"?

4. Jul 8, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What's another name for maximum displacement? Does the term appear in the question statement?

5. Jul 8, 2011 #4
    I am unsure if there is a difference.. :( There is no further clarification.

I have a feeling that it could be A based on the fact that, the larger the spring constant (k), the larger the frequency --> f = (1/2pi)(sqrt k/m)

If you plug in a large frequency into the equation velocity = frequency x wavelength, you get a higher velocity. However, the thing is, you can only change the velocity of a wave by changing the medium that the wave propagates through. Since we are using 2 different springs, with 2 different spring constants, does this mean we have different mediums? Because that would make A the answer I believe.

THANK YOU FOR THE WARM WELCOME...this message board is awesome!

6. Jul 8, 2011 #5
    oh and, I know that amplitude has NO EFFECT on period if that helps?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook