Optimizing MCAT Physics: Understanding Oscillation with Two Springs

• Thread starter jehan4141
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The term "amplitude" does not appear in the question statement. "Displacement" is the term used to describe the magnitude of movement of the object. The term "maximum displacement" is used to describe the maximum amount of movement of the object. The term "maximum velocity" is used to describe the fastest possible speed of the object. The term "frequency" is used to describe the number of times a wave oscillates per unit of time. The term "period" is used to describe the time it takes for one wave to oscillate.
jehan4141
Two springs with equal masses attached but with different spring constants (k) oscillate with the same amplitude. The spring with the larger spring constant (k) has:

a. a higher maximum velocity
b. a larger maximum displacement
c. a lower total energy
d. a lower frequency of oscillation
e. a longer period of oscillationI'm pretty certain that it is not C, D, E based on the equations for both period and frequency and the formula for Potential Energy = 1/2 kx^2

I think it is between A and B. Please help :) thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jehan4141 said:
Two springs with equal masses attached but with different spring constants (k) oscillate with the same amplitude. The spring with the larger spring constant (k) has:

a. a higher maximum velocity
b. a larger maximum displacement
c. a lower total energy
d. a lower frequency of oscillation
e. a longer period of oscillation

I'm pretty certain that it is not C, D, E based on the equations for both period and frequency and the formula for Potential Energy = 1/2 kx^2

I think it is between A and B. Please help :) thank you!

Welcome to the PF.

Is there a difference between "displacement" and "amplitude"?

What's another name for maximum displacement? Does the term appear in the question statement?

I am unsure if there is a difference.. :( There is no further clarification.

I have a feeling that it could be A based on the fact that, the larger the spring constant (k), the larger the frequency --> f = (1/2pi)(sqrt k/m)If you plug in a large frequency into the equation velocity = frequency x wavelength, you get a higher velocity. However, the thing is, you can only change the velocity of a wave by changing the medium that the wave propagates through. Since we are using 2 different springs, with 2 different spring constants, does this mean we have different mediums? Because that would make A the answer I believe.

THANK YOU FOR THE WARM WELCOME...this message board is awesome!

oh and, I know that amplitude has NO EFFECT on period if that helps?

1. What topics should I focus on for MCAT physics problems?

The MCAT physics section covers a wide range of topics, including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a thorough understanding of these topics and their underlying principles in order to successfully tackle MCAT physics problems.

2. How should I approach solving MCAT physics problems?

It is important to read the problem carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, identify which topic and principles are relevant to the problem and apply them in a systematic and logical manner. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or make equations to visualize the problem.

3. How should I prepare for the math involved in MCAT physics problems?

The math involved in MCAT physics problems is mostly algebra and basic calculus. It is important to have a solid understanding of these mathematical concepts and practice applying them in physics problems. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the units and conversion factors commonly used in physics.

4. How can I improve my speed and accuracy in solving MCAT physics problems?

One way to improve speed and accuracy is to practice regularly and expose yourself to a variety of MCAT physics problems. This will help you identify patterns and common strategies for solving problems. Additionally, mastering the underlying concepts and equations will make it easier to apply them quickly and correctly in problem-solving.

5. Are there any resources I can use to help me prepare for MCAT physics problems?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for MCAT physics problems, such as review books, online practice questions and tests, and study guides. You can also seek help from tutors or join study groups to discuss and solve problems together. Additionally, the AAMC provides official practice materials and resources for the MCAT exam.