1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MCAT physics QUESTIONS, please help!

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    I would really appreciate to know how some problems are solved!

1)Two different objects are dropped from rest off of a 50-m-tall cliff. One lands going 30% faster than the other. The two ojects have the same mass. How much more kinetic energy does one object have at the landing than the other? The answer is 69% more why???

2) A projectile is fired vertically at a speed of 30 m/s. It reaches a maximum height of 44.1 m. What fraction of its initial energy has been lost to air resistance at this point? the answer is 2%, can somebody explain me why?

3) At what height above the earth's surface is the acceleration due to gravity 10% of that at sea level? 1.36 x 10^7 m

4) The moon has 1/2 the acceleration of gravity of the earth. What would the mass of the earth have to be to have this acceleration at its surface? 1.03x10^3

I wouuld really appreciate if someone can help me, physics is my weakness :(

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2
    [tex]E = 1/2 m v^2 [/tex]
    This depends on [tex] v^2 [/tex] and so, the ratio of energies will be the ratio of the velocities squared, so [tex] E_1/E_2 = (1.3v_1)^2/v_2 [/tex]
    which gives 1.69, ie 69% more kinetic energy

2. with no air resitance [tex] v^2 = 2gs [/tex] where v is the initial velocity, g the acceleration due to gravity and s the maximum height. calculation this gives 45, now just go 44.1/45 to give 0.02, ie 2%

3. [tex] g = GM/r [/tex], use this and the fact that 10% of g is 0.1g, divide g by 0.1 g to get the answer.

4. Im not sure you have this answer right, because that is a migthy small mass for a planet to have. Solve this one by using the equation in 3, with 0.5g at the front.

4. May 28, 2008 #3
    thank you so much for your help SporadicSmile :)

by the way 1.3 was it achieved by (1/2)/(1/2) + 0.3?

5. May 28, 2008 #4
    Actually,

[tex]
    g = GM/r^2
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?