McCain confused about the Iraq war.

• News
  • Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, Sen. John McCain made a gaffe during a visit to the Middle East where he incorrectly identified which extremists in Iraq are receiving support from Iran. He initially stated that Iran was supporting al-Qaeda, a mostly Sunni group, but was corrected by his colleague Sen. Joseph Lieberman. This mistake could potentially undermine McCain's argument that his experience in foreign policy makes him the best candidate for handling national security issues. Some have raised concerns about McCain's lack of knowledge on basic facts, while others believe this error may not have a significant impact on his supporters.
EL
Science Advisor
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/03/18/a_mccain_gaffe_in_jordan.html
Sen. John McCain, traveling in the Middle East to promote his foreign policy expertise, misidentified in remarks Tuesday which broad category of Iraqi extremists are allegedly receiving support from Iran.

He said several times that Iran, a predominately Shiite country, was supplying the mostly Sunni militant group, al-Qaeda. In fact, officials have said they believe Iran is helping Shiite extremists in Iraq.

Speaking to reporters in Amman, the Jordanian capital, McCain said he and two Senate colleagues traveling with him continue to be concerned about Iranian operatives "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back."

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

The mistake threatened to undermine McCain's argument that his decades of foreign policy experience make him the natural choice to lead a country at war with terrorists. In recent days, McCain has repeatedly said his intimate knowledge of foreign policy make him the best equipped to answer a phone ringing in the White House late at night.

If true, McCain displayes an astonishing ignorance. A presidential candidate who has based his campain on the Iraq war question, and still does not know about the basic facts.

I thought McCain was a quite reasonable man (for being a republican), but I definitely have to reassess my opinion after this Bush-like statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
EL said:
If true, McCain displayes an astonishing ignorance. A presidential candidate who has based his campain on the Iraq war question, and still does not know about the basic facts.

I thought McCain was a quite reasonable man (for being a republican), but I definitely have to reassess my opinion after this Bush-like statement.
I think McCain knows the basic facts. It could be that he is tired, and speaking off-the-cuff, he may have said Iran when he meant to say Iraq. It's common in older folks to switch/mix words.

However, this kind of error does raise a concern since this guy wants to be president, and the president needs to make informed decisions.

McCain needs to be careful because anything he does that can be explained as him being old and senile will hurt him dearly.

On the other hand, most -against their personal benefit- republican voters (read middle class) appreciate simple terms like evil, bad people, those folks, Terrorists etc so they the "small" nuance between Shiite and Sunnies may not be that important electorally.

Remember "it is not about what you say but about how loud you say it" (S. Colbert)

1. Why is McCain confused about the Iraq war?

McCain's confusion about the Iraq war can be attributed to a variety of factors. One possible reason is his age and the toll it may have taken on his memory and cognitive abilities. Another reason could be the complexities of the situation in Iraq, which has evolved over time and involves multiple parties and interests.

2. How has McCain's confusion affected his stance on the Iraq war?

McCain's confusion has led to inconsistencies in his stance on the Iraq war. At times, he has expressed support for the war and the US presence in Iraq, while at other times he has criticized the handling of the war and called for a quicker withdrawal of troops.

3. Has McCain always been confused about the Iraq war?

No, McCain's stance on the Iraq war has evolved over time. He initially supported the decision to invade Iraq in 2003, but as the war dragged on and became increasingly unpopular, he began to express doubts and criticisms about the handling of the war.

4. How have other politicians responded to McCain's confusion about the Iraq war?

Other politicians, including some of McCain's colleagues in the Republican party, have expressed concerns about his confusion and its impact on his decision-making. Some have also accused him of flip-flopping on the issue for political gain.

5. What steps has McCain taken to address his confusion about the Iraq war?

There is no clear evidence that McCain has taken any specific steps to address his confusion about the Iraq war. However, he has acknowledged the challenges and complexities of the situation and has called for a continued US presence in Iraq to prevent the country from falling into chaos.