Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

McCain's good friend: G Gordon Liddy

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Gordon_Liddy

On the David Letterman show, last week, McCain said that he is proud to call G Gordon Liddy his friend. [edit: Not quite accurate, according to the quote shown, he said, "I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy"]

Liddy openly admits that he once planned to kidnap college students - protesters - at the Republican National Convention, drug them, and drop them off in Mexico.

What else do we know about Mr. Liddy? And how many other conspirators and spies does McCain call "friend"?

In a similar fashion, I guess we can add Sarah Palin, who is convicted of abuse of power and ethics violations.

Edit:
    http://www.nowpublic.com/world/john-mccains-bill-ayers-g-gordon-liddy

It seems that McCain has been palling around with terrorists!

Edit:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/g-gordon-liddy-voice-of-unreason-534135.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: McCain's good friend

So another supporter that's not a real plumber then.

By the standards of the current adminsitration doesn't this make him some sort of wishy-washy liberal?

4. Oct 20, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

"Convicted"? I must have missed the trial. :rolleyes:

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

Evo

Ivan, she wasn't convicted, you need to retract that. The report from the investigation said she found to have abused her powers and had ethics violations.

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That would be correct. The report only charged her, and the report itself even has no legal meaning as an indictment.

If she is charged under the statutes, that would have to come from the Attorney General or a Special Prosecutor and then she would under go trial that might lead to conviction.

The Personnel Board that Palin reported herself to does however have the authority to directly charge and prosecute her and that may be the ultimate irony of unintended consequences if it should happen.

7. Oct 20, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew this didn't carry any criminal implications, but my understanding is that the ruling was final. But, fair enough: Convicted was not the correct word to use.

Note also that I said ethics violations, not laws. So, I'm not sure the word "conviction" is incorrect.

My understanding was that based on the ruling, she can be impeached. Correct? What is the language used in the ruling?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. Oct 20, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: How in the world I missed that I will never know!

9. Oct 20, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It can lead to criminal charges.

As to impeachment, they don't specifically need a reason.

10. Oct 20, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Actually, it does carry criminal implications and the action is not final. I would liken it to a police investigation, at the end of which, the case is turned over to a DA. In this case, though the panel thinks she violated the ethics act, they did not make any recommendation about pursuing an actual legal case against her.
    Yes, she could be impeached, tried, and convicted. So the word "conviction" is most definitely incorrect the way you used it.

Here's the text of the report, if you are interested: http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/C...hflower_report_to_the_legislative_council.pdf

[edit] Something I didn't know - the report was actually written by a 3rd party lawyer, essentially akin to a Kenneth Starr type.

[edit2] I suspect that the reason the issue is apparently not going to be pursued is that he found against the primary charge of abuse of power (finding 2 in the report). Ie, the report found that yes, Palin acted in her own self-interest, in violation of the ethics law, but she did not abuse her power in firing the public safety commissioner. In essence, no harm, no foul.

11. Oct 20, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So it may be that this is viewed as a legitimate basis for impeachment. I know that impeachment was discussed by the pundits, so I assume this would be the reason.

12. Oct 20, 2008 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not exactly. On the issue of wrongful dismissal, the attorney found that Palin needed no cause to dismiss Monegan. That his failure to fire Wooten was not necessarily the proximate cause, but he did conclude it was a contributing factor.

But as regards to Trooper Wooten it was found that she did abuse her office in seeking to have fired without cause her ex-brother in law. And further permitted First Dude to pressure without restraint a range of State officials in this regard - that was an ethics violation. This attempt to subvert the process of Wooten's already administered discipline constituted a violation of the Executive Branch Ethics Act. And for that she may yet be charged.

Not exactly no harm.
    Not exactly no foul.

13. Oct 20, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the sort of "change" that McCain brings to Washington?

14. Oct 20, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that much was clear. And we don't need a Cheney with lipstick.

15. Oct 20, 2008 #14

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

That's insulting to pit bulls.

16. Oct 20, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/g-gordon-liddy-voice-of-unreason-534135.html

17. Oct 20, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

My neighbor's dog is half pit bull and half German shepherd. Whenever I visit, Max meets me at the end of the driveway, stares at me, curls his lip and tenses up all over. Then he runs to find and bring me his (currently) favorite throw-toy. I can either throw such toy over and over all the time I am visiting, or Max will "gently" suggest that I do so, by dropping the toy at my feet, picking up and setting the toy in my lap if I am sitting, or perhaps walking back and forth between my legs looking up at me and banging the toy against one of my legs if I am standing and am not paying him sufficient attention. He is a sweetie!!

I know a woman who works with animals and who has a pit-bull rescue. If I understand, she was initially shy around strangers, but with encouragement and fun activities, she became a real attention-hog, and loved everyone.

18. Oct 20, 2008 #17
    This isn't even the worst of McCain's associates and former associates. If the Obama people want to go after McCain on that issue, the issue of associates, they should go after his ties to far-right wing organizations and those involved in criminal activity during Iran Contra.

If Obama is for "change" he should come out and say we're not going to work with death squads or overthrow newly elected democratic leaders in other countries.

Obama seems to have a problem with hitting back hard, though. For example, on Colombia he could point out that anmnesty international has at times had Colombia as one of the worst countries in the region in terms of human rights. That, despite all of our "aid" to them, the government has connections with far-right paramilitaries who have an abysmal human rights record and get a substantial portion of their funding from drugs. He could then explain how the war on drugs fails in that area.

For example, on offshore drilling, he could point out the extreme environmental damage that is associated with it, instead of saying he will be "open to it" on a given situation.

And he could point out that deregulation and conservative economics has caused the latest financial disasters, although he has at least tried to speak up on this issue.

19. Oct 20, 2008 #18
    I am getting sick and tired of all these "friends" Obama and McCain have.

20. Oct 20, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that Obama's encounters with Ayers are few and incidental to his presense in Chicago, whereas McCain and Liddy go waaaaaay back. They really are good ole buddies.

Is it any wonder that from their point of view, Obama is too far to the left? From their point of view, everything is left!

21. Oct 20, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the best part of the offshore drilling story: With the current price of crude, it is probably now economically infeasible to "drill here and drill now". It will cost about $65 a barrel to produce. So they can open even more acreage to drilling, but the oil companies won't pursue the option until they can realize a profit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?