McCain's good friend: G Gordon Liddy

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, George Gordon Battle Liddy was a chief operative for the White House Plumbers unit during Richard Nixon's Presidency. He was involved in the Watergate scandal and served four and a half years in prison for his role in the burglary. Liddy has also been linked to other criminal activities such as conspiracy, burglary, and illegal wiretapping. Despite this, Liddy has been supported by politicians such as John McCain and Sarah Palin, who have been criticized for their association with him. Liddy has openly admitted to planning to kidnap and drug protesters and has expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler. He has also made contributions to McCain's campaigns and hosted a fundraiser for him. While Palin was found to have abused her powers and had ethics violations,
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
George Gordon Battle Liddy (born November 30, 1930) was the chief operative for the White House Plumbers unit that existed during several years of Richard Nixon's Presidency. Along with E. Howard Hunt, Liddy masterminded the first break-in of the Democratic National Committee headquarters in the Watergate building in 1972. The subsequent cover-up of the Watergate scandal led to Nixon's resignation in 1974; Liddy served four and a half years in prison for his role in the burglary...

Charge(s) Conspiracy, burglary, illegal wiretapping
Penalty 20 year imprisonment, later commuted by President Jimmy Carter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Gordon_Liddy

On the David Letterman show, last week, McCain said that he is proud to call G Gordon Liddy his friend. [edit: Not quite accurate, according to the quote shown, he said, "I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy"]

Liddy openly admits that he once planned to kidnap college students - protesters - at the Republican National Convention, drug them, and drop them off in Mexico.

What else do we know about Mr. Liddy? And how many other conspirators and spies does McCain call "friend"?

In a similar fashion, I guess we can add Sarah Palin, who is convicted of abuse of power and ethics violations.

Edit:
...Liddy has acknowledged preparing to kill someone during the Ellsberg break-in "if necessary"; plotting to murder journalist Jack Anderson; plotting with a "gangland figure" to murder Howard Hunt to stop him from cooperating with investigators; plotting to firebomb the Brookings Institution; and plotting to kidnap "leftist guerillas" at the 1972 Republican National Convention -- a plan he outlined to the Nixon administration using terminology borrowed from the Nazis. (The murder, firebombing, and kidnapping plots were never carried out; the break-ins were.)...
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/john-mccains-bill-ayers-g-gordon-liddy

It seems that McCain has been palling around with terrorists!

Edit:
... The Fuhrer was G Gordon Liddy's first political hero. Liddy was a sickly, asthmatic child when he grew up in Hoboken, New Jersey, in the 1930s. The town was full of ethnic Germans who idolized Hitler. Liddy was made to salute the Stars and Stripes Nazi-style by the nuns at his school; even now, he admits, "at assemblies where the national anthem is played, I must suppress the urge to snap out my right arm." His beloved German nanny taught him that Hitler had - through sheer will-power - "dragged Germany from weakness to strength."

This gave Liddy hope "for the first time in my life" that he too could overcome weakness. When he listened to Hitler on the radio, it "made me feel a strength inside I had never known before," he explains. "Hitler's sheer animal confidence and power of will [entranced me]. He sent an electric current through my body." He describes seeing the Nazis' doomed technological marvel the Hindenberg flying over New Jersey as an almost religious experience. "Ecstatic, I drank in its colossal power and felt myself grow. Fear evaporated and in its place came a sense of personal might and power." [continued]
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/g-gordon-liddy-voice-of-unreason-534135.html

In 1998 Liddy hosted a fundraiser at his house for John McCain's re-election campaign at which guests could have their pictures taken with McCain and Liddy.[6] Over the years, Liddy, who has referred to McCain as "an old friend," has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns -- including $1,000 in 2008. When David Letterman asked McCain about his relationship with Liddy, McCain said, "I know Gordon Liddy. He paid his debt. He went to prison and paid his debt, as people do. I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy."[7]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

was the chief operative for the White House Plumbers unit
So another supporter that's not a real plumber then.

Liddy openly admits that he once planned to kidnap college students - protesters - at the Republican National Convention, drug them, and drop them off in Mexico.
By the standards of the current adminsitration doesn't this make him some sort of wishy-washy liberal?

Ivan Seeking said:
In a similar fashion, I guess we can add Sarah Palin, who is convicted of abuse of power and ethics violations.
"Convicted"? I must have missed the trial. :rolleyes:

Ivan, she wasn't convicted, you need to retract that. The report from the investigation said she found to have abused her powers and had ethics violations.

Evo said:
Ivan, she wasn't convicted, you need to retract that. The report from the investigation said she found to have abused her powers and had ethics violations.

That would be correct. The report only charged her, and the report itself even has no legal meaning as an indictment.

If she is charged under the statutes, that would have to come from the Attorney General or a Special Prosecutor and then she would under go trial that might lead to conviction.

The Personnel Board that Palin reported herself to does however have the authority to directly charge and prosecute her and that may be the ultimate irony of unintended consequences if it should happen.

I knew this didn't carry any criminal implications, but my understanding is that the ruling was final. But, fair enough: Convicted was not the correct word to use.

Note also that I said ethics violations, not laws. So, I'm not sure the word "conviction" is incorrect.

My understanding was that based on the ruling, she can be impeached. Correct? What is the language used in the ruling?

Last edited:

mgb_phys said:
So another supporter that's not a real plumber then.

:rofl: How in the world I missed that I will never know!

Ivan Seeking said:
I knew this didn't carry any criminal implications, but my understanding is that the ruling was final. But, fair enough: Convicted was not the correct word to use.

My understanding was that based on the ruling, she can be impeached. Correct?

It can lead to criminal charges.

As to impeachment, they don't specifically need a reason.
Alaska_Constitution_Section_II said:
§ 20. Impeachment

All civil officers of the State are subject to impeachment by the legislature. Impeachment shall originate in the senate and must be approved by a two-thirds vote of its members. The motion for impeachment shall list fully the basis for the proceeding. Trial on impeachment shall be conducted by the house of representatives. A supreme court justice designated by the court shall preside at the trial. Concurrence of two-thirds of the members of the house is required for a judgment of impeachment. The judgment may not extend beyond removal from office, but shall not prevent proceedings in the courts on the same or related charges.

Ivan Seeking said:
I knew this didn't carry any criminal implications, but my understanding is that the ruling was final (unless, of course, no one chooses to pursue it further). But, fair enough: Convicted was not the correct word to use.
Actually, it does carry criminal implications and the action is not final. I would liken it to a police investigation, at the end of which, the case is turned over to a DA. In this case, though the panel thinks she violated the ethics act, they did not make any recommendation about pursuing an actual legal case against her.
Note also that I said ethics violations, not laws. So, I'm not sure the word "conviction" is incorrect.

My understanding was that based on the ruling, she can be impeached. Correct?
Yes, she could be impeached, tried, and convicted. So the word "conviction" is most definitely incorrect the way you used it.

Here's the text of the report, if you are interested: http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/C...hflower_report_to_the_legislative_council.pdf

[edit] Something I didn't know - the report was actually written by a 3rd party lawyer, essentially akin to a Kenneth Starr type.

[edit2] I suspect that the reason the issue is apparently not going to be pursued is that he found against the primary charge of abuse of power (finding 2 in the report). Ie, the report found that yes, Palin acted in her own self-interest, in violation of the ethics law, but she did not abuse her power in firing the public safety commissioner. In essence, no harm, no foul.

Last edited:

The motion for impeachment shall list fully the basis for the proceeding

So it may be that this is viewed as a legitimate basis for impeachment. I know that impeachment was discussed by the pundits, so I assume this would be the reason.

russ_watters said:
[edit2] I suspect that the reason the issue is apparently not going to be pursued is that he found against the primary charge of abuse of power (finding 2 in the report). Ie, the report found that yes, Palin acted in her own self-interest, in violation of the ethics law, but she did not abuse her power in firing the public safety commissioner. In essence, no harm, no foul.

Not exactly. On the issue of wrongful dismissal, the attorney found that Palin needed no cause to dismiss Monegan. That his failure to fire Wooten was not necessarily the proximate cause, but he did conclude it was a contributing factor.

But as regards to Trooper Wooten it was found that she did abuse her office in seeking to have fired without cause her ex-brother in law. And further permitted First Dude to pressure without restraint a range of State officials in this regard - that was an ethics violation. This attempt to subvert the process of Wooten's already administered discipline constituted a violation of the Executive Branch Ethics Act. And for that she may yet be charged.

Not exactly no harm.
Not exactly no foul.

This is the sort of "change" that McCain brings to Washington?

LowlyPion said:
But as regards to Trooper Wooten it was found that she did abuse her office in seeking to have fired without cause her ex-brother in law. And further permitted First Dude to pressure without restraint a range of State officials in this regard - that was an ethics violation. This attempt to subvert the process of Wooten's already administered discipline constituted a violation of the Executive Branch Ethics Act. And for that she may yet be charged.

Not exactly no harm.
Not exactly no foul.

Yes, that much was clear. And we don't need a Cheney with lipstick.

Ivan Seeking said:
And we don't need a Cheney with lipstick.

That's insulting to pit bulls.

... The Fuhrer was G Gordon Liddy's first political hero. Liddy was a sickly, asthmatic child when he grew up in Hoboken, New Jersey, in the 1930s. The town was full of ethnic Germans who idolized Hitler. Liddy was made to salute the Stars and Stripes Nazi-style by the nuns at his school; even now, he admits, "at assemblies where the national anthem is played, I must suppress the urge to snap out my right arm." His beloved German nanny taught him that Hitler had - through sheer will-power - "dragged Germany from weakness to strength."

This gave Liddy hope "for the first time in my life" that he too could overcome weakness. When he listened to Hitler on the radio, it "made me feel a strength inside I had never known before," he explains. "Hitler's sheer animal confidence and power of will [entranced me]. He sent an electric current through my body." He describes seeing the Nazis' doomed technological marvel the Hindenberg flying over New Jersey as an almost religious experience. "Ecstatic, I drank in its colossal power and felt myself grow. Fear evaporated and in its place came a sense of personal might and power." [continued]
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/g-gordon-liddy-voice-of-unreason-534135.html

In 1998 Liddy hosted a fundraiser at his house for John McCain's re-election campaign at which guests could have their pictures taken with McCain and Liddy.[6] Over the years, Liddy, who has referred to McCain as "an old friend," has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns -- including $1,000 in 2008. When David Letterman asked McCain about his relationship with Liddy, McCain said, "I know Gordon Liddy. He paid his debt. He went to prison and paid his debt, as people do. I'm not in any way embarrassed to know Gordon Liddy."[7]

Last edited:

LowlyPion said:
That's insulting to pit bulls.
My neighbor's dog is half pit bull and half German shepherd. Whenever I visit, Max meets me at the end of the driveway, stares at me, curls his lip and tenses up all over. Then he runs to find and bring me his (currently) favorite throw-toy. I can either throw such toy over and over all the time I am visiting, or Max will "gently" suggest that I do so, by dropping the toy at my feet, picking up and setting the toy in my lap if I am sitting, or perhaps walking back and forth between my legs looking up at me and banging the toy against one of my legs if I am standing and am not paying him sufficient attention. He is a sweetie!

I know a woman who works with animals and who has a pit-bull rescue. If I understand, she was initially shy around strangers, but with encouragement and fun activities, she became a real attention-hog, and loved everyone.

Last edited:
This isn't even the worst of McCain's associates and former associates. If the Obama people want to go after McCain on that issue, the issue of associates, they should go after his ties to far-right wing organizations and those involved in criminal activity during Iran Contra.

If Obama is for "change" he should come out and say we're not going to work with death squads or overthrow newly elected democratic leaders in other countries.

Obama seems to have a problem with hitting back hard, though. For example, on Colombia he could point out that anmnesty international has at times had Colombia as one of the worst countries in the region in terms of human rights. That, despite all of our "aid" to them, the government has connections with far-right paramilitaries who have an abysmal human rights record and get a substantial portion of their funding from drugs. He could then explain how the war on drugs fails in that area.

For example, on offshore drilling, he could point out the extreme environmental damage that is associated with it, instead of saying he will be "open to it" on a given situation.

And he could point out that deregulation and conservative economics has caused the latest financial disasters, although he has at least tried to speak up on this issue.

I am getting sick and tired of all these "friends" Obama and McCain have.

wildman said:
I am getting sick and tired of all these "friends" Obama and McCain have.

Keep in mind that Obama's encounters with Ayers are few and incidental to his presense in Chicago, whereas McCain and Liddy go waaaaaay back. They really are good ole buddies.

Is it any wonder that from their point of view, Obama is too far to the left? From their point of view, everything is left!

Last edited:
OrbitalPower said:
For example, on offshore drilling, he could point out the extreme environmental damage that is associated with it, instead of saying he will be "open to it" on a given situation..

Here is the best part of the offshore drilling story: With the current price of crude, it is probably now economically infeasible to "drill here and drill now". It will cost about $65 a barrel to produce. So they can open even more acreage to drilling, but the oil companies won't pursue the option until they can realize a profit.

...Liddy has acknowledged preparing to kill someone during the Ellsberg break-in "if necessary"; plotting to murder journalist Jack Anderson; plotting with a "gangland figure" to murder Howard Hunt to stop him from cooperating with investigators; plotting to firebomb the Brookings Institution; and plotting to kidnap "leftist guerillas" at the 1972 Republican National Convention -- a plan he outlined to the Nixon administration using terminology borrowed from the Nazis. (The murder, firebombing, and kidnapping plots were never carried out; the break-ins were.)...
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/john-mccains-bill-ayers-g-gordon-liddy

It seems that McCain has been palling around with terrorists!

I think the economy is a bit more important.

This, IMO, was poignant:

Last edited by a moderator:
asdfggfdsa said:
I think the economy is a bit more important.

Not if McCain - the guy palling around with a terrorist conspirator, spy, burglar, would-be murderer, and all around subversive - wins because he is willing to tell the biggest lies.

Nice to know that McCain hangs with a guy who loved Hitler.

Ivan Seeking said:
Nice to know that McCain hangs with a guy who loved Hitler.
Well, so long as you only talk about his love of alsatians and stay off the topic of politics.

mgb_phys said:
Well, so long as you only talk about his love of alsatians and stay off the topic of politics.

The point?

Ivan Seeking said:
The point?
The point was, you were supposed to say "Hitler?" to which the reply is "no Liddy"

McCain and Palin have declared that a standard for eligibility is "who do you know".

If McCain believes that Obama's few encounters with a 60's radical, are significant, then clearly McCain's Hitler inspired, convicted criminal and spy, murderous conspirator, right-wing nut, and good buddy, is highly significant to the election.

...Last November, McCain went on his radio show. Liddy greeted him as "an old friend," and McCain sounded like one. "I'm proud of you, I'm proud of your family," he gushed. "It's always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great."[continued]
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-oped0504chapmanmay04,0,6238795.column [Broken]

Bill Ayers participated in bombing a statue, the New York Police headquarters, the U.S. Capitol, and the Pentagon. G. Gordon Liddy participated in a White house plot to subvert the Constitution.

Ayers has never been convicted or served prison time. Liddy was convicted of conspiracy, burglary, and illegal wire-tapping, was senteced to 20 years, and served 5.5 until President Carter commuted his sentence.

Ayers is now a professor of education. Liddy is a conservative talk radio host.

Ayers has said "we didn't do enough" to stop the Vietnam War, a statement interpreted by some to mean he thinks he should have set off more bombs in the early 1970s.

In 1994, after the feds stormed the branch Davidian compound in Waco, Liddy said on his radio program, [sorry, rough language coming] "Now if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms comes to disarm you and they are bearing arms, resist them with arms. Go for a head shot; they're going to be wearing bulletproof vests. ... Kill the sons of bitches." (And as for Liddy on Hitler...)

Ayers and his wife hosted a campaign event at his house for Obama in 1995. Liddy hosted a campaign event for McCain in 1998.

Ayers donated $200 to Obama in 2001. Liddy has given at least $5,000 to McCain over the years, including $1,000 this year.

Senator Obama has called Ayers' terrorist acts "despicable" and condemned them.

Senator McCain appeared on Liddy's radio show last November and said, "I'm proud of you, I'm proud of your family... It's always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great."
http://www.keloland.com/custompages/kelolandblogs/madvilletimes/index.cfm?c=2313 [Broken]

Can you imagine if Liddy worked for Bush-Cheney?

Liddy: "Let's round up activists before the RNC, drug them and send them to Mexico."
Cheney: "No that would be wrong."
Liddy: "How so?"
Cheney: "Mexico won't water-board 'em. We've got to send 'em to Romania."

1. Who is G Gordon Liddy and how is he connected to John McCain?

G Gordon Liddy is a former FBI agent and political operative who became known for his involvement in the Watergate scandal. He is connected to John McCain through their mutual involvement in conservative politics and their personal friendship.

2. What role did G Gordon Liddy play in the Watergate scandal?

G Gordon Liddy was one of the masterminds behind the Watergate break-in and subsequent cover-up, which ultimately led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon. He was convicted of conspiracy, burglary, and illegal wiretapping and served four and a half years in prison.

3. How did John McCain and G Gordon Liddy become friends?

John McCain and G Gordon Liddy first met in the 1980s when McCain was a congressman and Liddy was a conservative radio host. They bonded over their shared conservative values and became close friends over the years.

4. What are G Gordon Liddy's political views and how do they align with John McCain's?

G Gordon Liddy is a staunch conservative and has been a vocal supporter of limited government, gun rights, and traditional values. These views align with many of John McCain's political beliefs, particularly on issues such as national security and fiscal responsibility.

5. Has John McCain ever faced criticism for his friendship with G Gordon Liddy?

Yes, John McCain has faced criticism for his friendship with G Gordon Liddy, particularly during his 2008 presidential campaign. Some opponents accused McCain of being too closely associated with Liddy and his controversial past. However, McCain has defended their friendship and stated that he does not agree with all of Liddy's actions but respects him as a friend.