Convert Mcd to MicroEinstein - Tips & Hints

• Thread starter taupune
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of converting from mcd to microeinstein and the use of LED with specific parameters. The website hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu is mentioned as a potential resource, but it only provides information in /m^2*s, making it tricky to convert to watts. One suggestion is to start from the other end and find out the power of the LED, using the assumed efficiency and monochromaticity to convert directly to Einsteins/second using Planck's constant. The individual is only looking for a close approximation, not an exact answer, and is seeking tips and hints.
taupune
Hi all.

I have been looking around for a while and done quite some research, however i couldn't find an answer. The one I found were quite complicated ones.

My question is of how to convert mcd to microeinstein.
I know it depends on wavelength. I am using LEd with 30deg angle and 1500mcd and near 660 wavelength (red color).

The closest I could get was using info from this website:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/lumpow.html

however einstein is in /m^2*s.

S how can i transform the watt to einstein?

I just need a close approximation not exact answer.
Could you give some tips/hints?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's tricky, candelas are a perceptual unit, you need to know the luminous efficacy of the LED.

I'd suggest starting at the other end; don't you know the power of the LED? That's usually easier to find out (and I suspect the luminous intensity was calculated from it anyway?. LED's are pretty efficient and pretty monochromatic. So if you assume 100% efficiency and purely monochromatic light, then you should be able to convert watts directly into Einsteins/second using Planck's constant.

1. What is Mcd and MicroEinstein?

Mcd stands for millicandela, which is a unit of luminous intensity. MicroEinstein is a unit of photon flux and is used to measure light in biological systems.

2. Why do we need to convert Mcd to MicroEinstein?

Mcd and MicroEinstein are two different units of measurement for light. In order to compare or use data from different sources, it is necessary to convert between the two units.

3. What is the conversion factor between Mcd and MicroEinstein?

The conversion factor between Mcd and MicroEinstein is 1 Mcd = 0.000314 MicroEinstein. This means that to convert from Mcd to MicroEinstein, you need to multiply the value in Mcd by 0.000314.

4. How do I convert Mcd to MicroEinstein?

To convert Mcd to MicroEinstein, multiply the value in Mcd by 0.000314. For example, if you have a value of 10 Mcd, the conversion would be 10 x 0.000314 = 0.00314 MicroEinstein.

5. Are there any tips or hints for converting Mcd to MicroEinstein?

One tip for converting Mcd to MicroEinstein is to make sure you are using the correct conversion factor. It can also be helpful to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, using an online conversion calculator or formula sheet may make the process easier.