MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x): Interval & Value

• Thread starter nns91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: The power now should be -3x to the power of n. So it becomesln(1/1-(-3x)) = sum(-1)^n(-3x)^n/n = sum(-1)^n(-3)^n*x^n/n = sum((-1)^n*3^n*x^n)/nThe interval of convergence will be the same as the original one, -1 <= x < 1. So the series is \sum((-1)^n*3^n*x^n)/n with interval of convergence -1 <= x < 1?b. You can use the alternating series test to show that the series converges.
nns91

Homework Statement

The MacLaurin series for ln(1/1-x) is sum of x^n/n with interval of convergence -1<= x <1

a. Find the Maclaurin series for ln(1/1+3x) and determine the interval of convergence
b. Find the value of [tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)^n/n from n=1 to infinity.
c. Give a value of p such that [tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)^n/ n^p converges but [tex]\sum[/tex] of 1/n^(2p) diverges. Give reasons why your value of p is correct.
d. Give a value of p such that [tex]\sum[/tex]1/n^p diverges but [tex]\sum[/tex]1/n^(2p) converges. Give reasons why your value of p is correct.

Homework Equations

Limit test

The Attempt at a Solution

a. So I guess the answer for the series is [tex]\sum[/tex](-1)3x^n/n. Am I right ?
b. How do I do this one ?
c. I am not sure how to do this one.
d. I think 1/n^p diverges when p<1. For p<1, 2p<2 so 1/n^2p < 1/n^2 which is a convergent series. So my p is correct. Am I right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I did part d wrong to. Right ?

nns91 said:

Homework Statement

The MacLaurin series for ln(1/1-x) is sum of x^n/n with interval of convergence -1<= x <1

a. Find the Maclaurin series for ln(1/1+3x) and determine the interval of convergence
b. Find the value of [tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)^n/n from n=1 to infinity.
c. Give a value of p such that [tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)^n/ n^p converges but [tex]\sum[/tex] of 1/n^(2p) diverges. Give reasons why your value of p is correct.
d. Give a value of p such that [tex]\sum[/tex]1/n^p diverges but [tex]\sum[/tex]1/n^(2p) converges. Give reasons why your value of p is correct.

Homework Equations

Limit test

The Attempt at a Solution

a. So I guess the answer for the series is [tex]\sum[/tex](-1)3x^n/n. Am I right ?
No, you are not. HOW did you "guess the answer"?

b. How do I do this one ?
c. I am not sure how to do this one.
Try something!

d. I think 1/n^p diverges when p<1. For p<1, 2p<2 so 1/n^2p < 1/n^2 which is a convergent series. So my p is correct. Am I right ?
You are not doing the right problem. You were asked to find p such that [itex]\sum (-1)^n/n^p[/itex] converges and [itex]\sum 1/n^p[/itex] diverges.

a. I actually did not guess, I multiplied x by 3 and negated it. If am wrong, how should I do it then ?

d. Oh, I see. I misunderstood the problem. Then p should be 1 then, right ? since 1/n diverges but 1/n^2 converges

just to conceptualise it, try re-writing, first from your problem description you have (i haven't checked this...):
[tex]ln(\frac{1}{1-x}) = \sum \frac{x^n}{n}[/tex]

and you want to find
[tex]ln(\frac{1}{1+3y}) = [/tex]

can you find x = f(y) and substitute this into you original taylor expansion?

d) sounds reasonable if p is an integer, can you expain why though? think convergence tests

. How should I do part b ?

nns91 said:
. How should I do part b ?

ln(1/1+3x) = ln(1/1-(-3x))

You had ln(1/1-x) and now you are multiplying -3 to x

What is the MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x)?

The MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x) is the Taylor series expansion of the natural logarithm function centered at x = 0. It is given by the formula: ln(1/1+3x) = -3x - (9/2)x^2 - (27/3)x^3 - (81/4)x^4 - (243/5)x^5 - ...

What is the interval of convergence for the MacLaurin Series of ln(1/1+3x)?

The interval of convergence for the MacLaurin Series of ln(1/1+3x) is -1/3 < x < 1/3. This means that the series will only converge for values of x within this interval.

What is the value of ln(1/1+3x) using the MacLaurin Series?

The value of ln(1/1+3x) can be approximated using the MacLaurin Series. Simply plug in the desired value for x into the series expansion and evaluate the resulting expression. The more terms included in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be.

Why is it important to find the MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x)?

Finding the MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x) allows us to approximate the value of the natural logarithm for values of x outside of the interval of convergence. It also allows us to simplify complex calculations involving ln(1/1+3x) by using the series expansion instead.

How do I derive the MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x)?

The MacLaurin Series for ln(1/1+3x) can be derived by using the Taylor series formula and taking the derivatives of ln(1/1+3x) with respect to x. This will result in the coefficients -3, -9/2, -27/3, -81/4, -243/5, and so on, which follow the pattern of (-3)^n / n. These coefficients can then be plugged into the Taylor series formula to obtain the complete series expansion.