MCNP Gamma Decay: Neutron & Photon Calculation in Reactor Cores

In summary: What are the main features of MCNPX?In summary, MCNPX is a new code that is designed to improve the performance of MCNP and to address some of the limitations of MCNP. It includes features such as improved nuclear reactions and transport, improved radiation transport, and a new user interface.
MAAQ
Hi ,
This is my first post in this forum, I am new and happy to be in this forum :)

My question is, during the calculation of neutron and photon of a single-point reactor core, does MCNP5 taking into account the gamma decay? because during fission process, fission product can emit gamma. Does MCNP consider that?

thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
MAAQ said:
My question is, during the calculation of neutron and photon of a single-point reactor core, does MCNP5 taking into account the gamma decay? because during fission process, fission product can emit gamma. Does MCNP consider that?
Yes it can. Here is an example - http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/35/106/35106353.pdf

As I understand it, MCNP is primarily a particle (neutron and gamma) transport code, however, it can be coupled to other codes, e.g., ORIGEN, to simulate/calculate decay of radionuclides, or depletion. It all depends on how the source is defined.

hi Astronuc,
I am really glad that you answered my question. I used to see your comments long time ago before starting to use this forum. Thank you very much :)

Let's make the question more clear, if I am using MCNP5 alone without coupling it. Does it enough to track all gamma?
Another thing, code like Geant 4 "I haven't used it yet" but can it follow gamma decay.

MAAQ said:
hi Astronuc,
I am really glad that you answered my question. I used to see your comments long time ago before starting to use this forum. Thank you very much :)

Let's make the question more clear, if I am using MCNP5 alone without coupling it. Does it enough to track all gamma?
Another thing, code like Geant 4 "I haven't used it yet" but can it follow gamma decay.
It appears that one can address a source with a source card, but it is limited to particularly sources. See the SDEF card, and also, SUR for a surface source and CELL for a volume source.

https://canteach.candu.org/Content Library/20043507.pdf

The sources seem rather limited.

In order to do a time dependent sources, e.g., fissions of a fuel rod or assembly, I believe one has to couple a depletion module, e.g., CINDER, ORIGEN, to MCNP.
For example - https://mcnp.lanl.gov/pdf_files/la-ur-12-00676.pdf

I understand that MCNP 6.2 is out now, and that has combined features from MCNP and MCNPX.

Last edited:

1. What is MCNP Gamma Decay?

MCNP Gamma Decay is a computer code used to simulate the behavior of neutrons and photons in reactor cores. It is commonly used in the field of nuclear engineering to model and analyze the effects of radiation on reactor components.

2. How does MCNP Gamma Decay calculate neutron and photon behavior?

MCNP Gamma Decay uses Monte Carlo methods to simulate the random behavior of neutrons and photons as they interact with materials in a reactor core. This allows for a more accurate and detailed calculation of their behavior compared to traditional deterministic methods.

3. What types of materials can be modeled in MCNP Gamma Decay?

MCNP Gamma Decay can model a wide range of materials commonly found in reactor cores, including fuel rods, control rods, coolant, and structural materials. It can also account for various geometries, such as different shapes and sizes of fuel assemblies.

4. How is MCNP Gamma Decay used in the design of nuclear reactors?

MCNP Gamma Decay is often used in the design and safety analysis of nuclear reactors. It can help engineers understand the behavior of neutrons and photons in different reactor configurations and assess the potential risks and hazards associated with radiation exposure.

5. Is MCNP Gamma Decay validated and reliable?

MCNP Gamma Decay has been extensively validated and benchmarked against experimental data and other codes. It is considered a reliable tool for simulating neutron and photon behavior in reactor cores, but it is important for users to properly validate their own models and assumptions to ensure accurate results.