Light Emission from Materials in MCNP Simulations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MCNP to model the distribution of light emission from a plastic scintillator when excited by neutrons. The individual is looking for sources to gather information on this topic and is interested in whether MCNP takes into account scintillation. A source is provided that discusses the use of BC-523a liquid scintillator for neutron spectroscopy and gamma counting, and the use of DRiFT to calculate the detector response. The conversation also mentions the need to determine the photon per MeVee and the use of MCNP to model the (n,p) reaction in the scintillator.
oksuz_
Hi,

I am trying to model the distribution of the light emission from a material when excited with neutrons in MCNP. I have been searching literature and found not many things. Could anyone provide me with sources from which I can get info?

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
oksuz_ said:
I am trying to model the distribution of the light emission from a material when excited with neutrons in MCNP. I have been searching literature and found not many things. Could anyone provide me with sources from which I can get info?
Is one referring to a liquid or crystal scintillator with which to detect neutrons?

It is a plastic scintillator. And there will be a amorphous silicon behind it. I am not sure whether mcnp takes into account scintillation though.

oksuz_ said:
It is a plastic scintillator. And there will be a amorphous silicon behind it. I am not sure whether mcnp takes into account scintillation though.
Is this a borated plastic scintillator?

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it is nevertheless of interest, and probably in the direction of your question.

https://ne.oregonstate.edu/sites/ne.oregonstate.edu/files/frey.pdf
Use of BC-523a Liquid Scintillator for Simultaneous Neutron Spectroscopy and Gamma Counting with the Implementation of a Neutron History Reconstruction AlgorithmBy Wesley Frey, Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics
Oregon State University

Are you asking if MCNP tallies the optical emissions of the scintillator, as opposed to tracking the neutron/gamma interactions?

Last edited:
Likes oksuz_
Its molecular formula is C9H10, and It does not contain boron.

Thank you for the source. It will definitely be helpful.

My aim is to track the emitted light originated from the neutron-scintillator interaction.

oksuz_ said:
My aim is to track the emitted light originated from the neutron-scintillator interaction.
I don't believe MCNP directly calculates the optical (from scintillation) response from the medium. However, LANL, which maintains MCNP is developing a tool-kit to enable the calculation of the detector response. The model is called DRiFT.

https://mcnp.lanl.gov/pdf_files/la-ur-16-27166.pdf
• DRiFT treats each particle separately to properly determine the amplitude and shape of the resulting pulse.
• The PTRAC particle’s electron equivalent energy (MeVee) is determined for the specific particle type and original energy using quenching data specified in input.
• The scintillation yield (12,000 photons/MeVee for EJ-301) is used to determine the mean number of photons produced.

So it is matter of determining the photon per MeVee, which I take to be the energy dissipated by the particle interaction. In your case, the energy will come from the recoil of a proton by the neutron, which you can model with MCNP.

Various authors cite: Aoyama, T.; Honda, H.; Kudo, C.M.; Takeda, N. Energy response of a full-energy-absorption neutron spectrometer using boron-loaded liquid scintillator BC-523. Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research, Sections A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment. 333A: 492-501; 1993.

Apparentley Aoyama et al used MCNP to model a scintillation detector, which used BC-523. That relies on (n,α) reaction with boron, whereas one is attempting to model an (n,p) reaction.

Likes oksuz_

1. What is MCNP and how is it used in simulations of light emission from materials?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through matter. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering and physics research. In the context of light emission from materials, MCNP can be used to simulate the interactions of particles, such as photons, with a material and predict the resulting light emission.

2. How accurate are the results obtained from MCNP simulations of light emission from materials?

The accuracy of the results obtained from MCNP simulations depends on the quality of the input data and the parameters used in the simulation. Generally, MCNP is considered a reliable and accurate tool for simulating light emission from materials, but it is always important to validate the results with experimental data.

3. Can MCNP simulations be used to model light emission from any type of material?

Yes, MCNP can be used to simulate light emission from a wide range of materials, including semiconductors, insulators, and metals. However, the simulation parameters and models used may vary depending on the specific material properties and interactions with the incident particles.

4. How does MCNP handle different types of light emission, such as fluorescence or phosphorescence?

MCNP has the capability to simulate different types of light emission, including fluorescence and phosphorescence. This is achieved by incorporating specific models and parameters for these types of emissions into the simulation. Users can also adjust these parameters to better match experimental data.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using MCNP for simulations of light emission from materials?

One limitation of using MCNP for light emission simulations is the computational resources required. The simulations can be time-consuming and require a significant amount of memory and processing power. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the simplifications and assumptions made in the simulation models.