MCNP6 Fatal Error and warnings

In summary, the conversation revolves around an error and warning experienced while running a sample problem from the MCNP6 manual. The fatal error is caused by a duplicated IMP:N card, and the warning is due to a missing xsdir_mcnp6.1 file. The conversation also includes discussions on the correct format for IMP:N and PZ cards, with modifications made to the input deck to resolve the errors.
khary23
Hello,
I am working through the MCNP6 manual and am experiencing the following error as well as warning when trying to run the sample problem from the manual.
The fatal error I get is
"fatal error. 1 entries not equal to number of cells = 4."
From the IMP card. My entry for that card is
IMP:N 1 1 1 0
which is exactly what they have in the manual.
After that I get the following error.
"warning. Default xsdir_mcnp6.1 not found. Switching to backup, xsdir

bad trouble in subroutine ixsdir of imcn

data file xsdir does not exist"
But I do see xsdir in the MCNP_DATA directory so I am a bit confused about that. I have upload the output file with the errors in case I have not properly explained what's going on.

Attachments

• SAMPLE1.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 715
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi
for your fatal error it is because you have twice "imp:n". one in line 22 and the other line 23. Remove line 22.
In MCNP6 "Xsdir" must be named "xsdir_mcnp6.1" so renamed the file "xsdir". But it is Strange I think that MCNP6 was not install correctly.

This is very strange. As you can see from the screen shot below IMP:N is only in line 24. I think I will uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    15.6 KB · Views: 652
sorry,
too difficult to read. Can you copy/paste your file (or put a ascii file) ?

Here it is a a notepad file. Thank you for looking at it.

Attachments

• SAMPLE.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 590
I wanted to add that I looked and the file "xsdir_mcnp6.1" does exist in the MCNP_DATA folder.

first you have 2 imp:n !
in block 1
Sample Problem Imput Deck
C cell cards for sample problem
1 1 -0.0014 -7 IMP:N=1
2 2 -0.786 -8
3 3 -1.060 1 -2 -3 4 -5 6 7 8
4 0 -1:2:3:-4:5:-6
C end of cell cards for sample problem

must have
1 1 -0.0014 -7 $ IMP:N=1

second you have a cukie cutter :
instead of
C Surface Cards
C Begining of surfaces for cube
1 PX -5 $ 5cm negitive of x=0
2 PX 5 $ 5cm positive of x=0
3 PY 5
4 PY -5
5 PZ -5
6 PZ 6

C End of Cube surfaces
C Begin Sphere Surfaces
7 S 0 -4 -2.5 0.5 $ oxygen sphere
8 S 0 4 4 0.5 $ iron sphere
C End sphères

you msut have :
5 PZ 5
6 PZ -6

and after it's ok (see file)

Attachments

• outn.txt
    28.2 KB · Views: 620
Likes khary23
I have no idea how the IMP:N=1 got into the cell card, thank you so much for pointing it out!

One last question why is
5 PZ -5
6 PZ 6
incorrect and

5 PZ 5
6 PZ -6
Correct?

khary23 said:
One last question why is
5 PZ -5
6 PZ 6
incorrect and

5 PZ 5
6 PZ -6
Correct?

because you write in block 1 :
so "-5" is on the left of geometry "5 PZ -5" but "PZ -5" is the left plan of your geometry
and 6 is on the right of geometry "6 PZ 6" but "PZ 5" is the right plan of your geometry

is it ok with my modification ?

PSRB191921 said:
because you write in block 1 :
so "-5" is on the left of geometry "5 PZ -5" but "PZ -5" is the left plan of your geometry
and 6 is on the right of geometry "6 PZ 6" but "PZ 5" is the right plan of your geometry

That makes complete sense. Thank you

PSRB191921 said:
is it ok with my modification ?
khary23 said:
That makes complete sense. Thank you

Yes! Again thank you!

1. What is MCNP6 Fatal Error and how does it occur?

MCNP6 Fatal Error is an error message that appears when running MCNP6, a Monte Carlo radiation transport code. It occurs when the program encounters a critical issue that prevents it from continuing, such as an invalid input or a system error.

2. How can I troubleshoot MCNP6 Fatal Errors?

To troubleshoot MCNP6 Fatal Errors, you can check the input file for any errors or typos, ensure that the necessary data and libraries are properly linked, and review the program's output to identify the source of the error. Additionally, you can consult the MCNP6 user manual or seek help from other experienced users.

3. Are there any common causes of MCNP6 Fatal Errors?

Some common causes of MCNP6 Fatal Errors include incorrect input parameters, missing or corrupted data files, and issues with the system environment or hardware. It is also possible for the error to be caused by a bug in the program itself.

4. Can MCNP6 Fatal Errors be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent MCNP6 Fatal Errors, there are some steps that can help reduce their occurrence. These include carefully reviewing and double-checking the input file, keeping the program and system environment up-to-date, and using proper coding techniques to avoid potential bugs.

5. Is there a way to recover from MCNP6 Fatal Errors?

In most cases, MCNP6 Fatal Errors cannot be recovered from and the program must be restarted. However, some errors may have a specific solution or workaround, which can be found in the user manual or by consulting with other users. It is also recommended to save your work frequently to avoid losing progress in the event of an error.