MCNPX do not finish a simulation possible bug in the code

In summary, there could be several reasons for an MCNPX simulation not finishing, such as incorrect input parameters, insufficient computational resources, or a possible bug in the code. To troubleshoot this issue, it is recommended to carefully check input settings, run the simulation with different parameters, consult the user manual, or seek assistance from experienced users. If a bug in the code is suspected, it is important to report it to the developers with detailed information.
Hector_KIT
I am testing the MCNPX plugging MCUNED to make calculations with neutron generators. After the compilation many examples to test the installation are provided. But one of them (I attached the code below) starts but it never finish. Just keeps in the first rendezvous. I first though in a problem in the compilation to do parallel calculations, but I realized that I had the same problem when I tried to run the input in serial or with MCNP6 or MCNPX without MCUNED. Any idea where the problem may be? I also tried reducing the initial number of particles (from 1E5 to 10) to see if was only a matter of time. But it keeps always at the first rendezvous. The programm is perfectly running with other imputs (for example the same one give it below but changing the par=a to par=h)

The code is the following.

test light ion table: a on Cu63
1 1 -8.94 -1 imp:n,p,h,d,t,s,a=1
2 0 1 imp:n,p,h,d,t,s,a=0

1 so 1

mode n h d t s a
cut:n,p,h,d,t,s,a J .001 0 0 $ Force analog capture
m1 29063 1
lca 7j -2
sdef par=a erg=10 vec 0 0 1 dir=1
c
e0 .001 99i 10.1
c0 -.9 8i 0 8i .9 .95 .97 .99 .995 1 T
fq0 e c
c
f011:n 1
ft011 frv 0 0 1
c
f021:p 1
ft021 frv 0 0 1
c
f091:h 1
ft091 frv 0 0 1
c
f311:d 1
ft311 frv 0 0 1
c
f321:t 1
ft321 frv 0 0 1
c
f331:s 1
ft331 frv 0 0 1
c
f341:a 1
ft341 frv 0 0 1
c
nps 100000
c prdmp 2J -1
print

Engineering news on Phys.org
c
end
Thank you for sharing your experience with the MCNPX plugging MCUNED for neutron generator calculations. Based on the information you provided, it seems that there may be an issue with the input parameters or settings in your code. I would recommend checking the MCNPX user manual or reaching out to the developers of the code for assistance in troubleshooting the issue.

One possible explanation for the program getting stuck at the first rendezvous could be an incorrect setting for the particle type or direction in the sdef card. You may want to double check the values you have entered for the par and dir parameters, and make sure they are consistent with the particle type and direction you want to simulate.

Additionally, it may be helpful to compare your input with other working examples and see if there are any differences that could be causing the issue. You could also try running the input with different initial particle numbers or changing other input parameters to see if that makes a difference.

Overall, it may be best to consult with the developers or other experienced users of MCNPX for guidance on how to troubleshoot and resolve this issue. I hope this helps and wish you success in your research.

1. Why is my MCNPX simulation not finishing?

There could be several reasons for this issue, such as incorrect input parameters, insufficient computational resources, or a possible bug in the code. It is important to carefully check your input settings and ensure that your system has enough memory and processing power to run the simulation.

2. Can a bug in the MCNPX code cause a simulation to not finish?

Yes, it is possible for a bug in the code to cause a simulation to not finish. If you suspect that this may be the case, it is recommended to report the issue to the developers of MCNPX so they can investigate and fix the problem.

3. How can I troubleshoot my MCNPX simulation that is not finishing?

First, check your input settings and ensure they are correct. Then, try running the simulation with different input parameters to see if the issue persists. If the problem persists, it is recommended to consult the MCNPX user manual or seek assistance from the developers or other experienced users.

4. Is there a way to determine if a simulation is stuck due to a bug in the MCNPX code?

One way to determine if a simulation is stuck due to a bug in the code is to monitor the simulation's progress and look for any unusual behaviors or errors. You can also compare your results with those from a similar simulation that successfully finished to see if there are any discrepancies.

5. How can I report a possible bug in the MCNPX code?

If you suspect that your simulation is not finishing due to a bug in the code, you can report it to the developers by submitting a bug report on the MCNPX website or through their official email. It is helpful to provide detailed information about your input settings and any error messages or unusual behaviors you encountered during the simulation.