1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MCQ- Genetic drift

1. Jun 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Genetic drift play an imp role in:
    a. Large population
    b. Small population
    c.Bottleneck population
    d. Both b and c

2. Relevant equations

Genetic drift is the change change in the allelic frequency due to random sampling. 'Small populations are more susceptible to genetic drift than large populations, whose larger numbers can buffer the population against chance events.' (boundless)
    Now Bottleneck population, the term is not a standard one I think. However population bottleneck ' is a sharp reduction in the size of a population due to environmental events (such as earthquakes, floods, fires, disease, or droughts) or human activities (such as genocide).' (wiki)
    May be the author of this question intended the reduced population, with the individuals that survived, so it should be small.

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer's d ?

Note: I have a couple of threads unresolved here. I would resolve them as soon as I find some time, I'm in the mid of a series of exams and will be free by the 2nd/3rd week of next month.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2017 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, d is the correct answer.

4. Jun 9, 2017 #3
    @Yggdrasil
    Do you agree with the reasoning?

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, a population bottleneck can lead to random changes in the frequencies of genes and traits (plus it will lead to smaller populations which are more susceptible to the fixation of new traits by genetic drift). The other common example of a case where you will observe genetic drift is the founder effect.

6. Jun 9, 2017 #5
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted