Me, A Rod and A Table With Little Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios in which a person pushes a rod that is fixed at one end and free to rotate at the other. The first scenario involves the person pushing close to the pivot point, while the second scenario involves pushing further away from the pivot point. The question is whether there is a difference in how far the person will travel and how far the rod will rotate in these two scenarios. The solution suggests that the person will travel the same distance due to the fixed impulse, but the rod may rotate more in the second scenario due to the variable moment arm. The conversation also compares this to pushing near or far from a hinge on a door.
Erunanethiel
Lets say I have a massive rod laying on a table with little froction, screwed into the table on one side to become our pivot point, and I lay next to it with my feet pointing towards the rod.

First scenario: I position myself very close to the pivot point and push, the rod rotates and I move across the table too.

Second scenario: I now position myself far from the pivot point and close to the free rotating side of the rod, and I push with my legs again with the same force and for the same duration of time.

Is there any difference in terms of how far I will go after I push and come to a stop where that little friction stops me between these two scenarios?

Is there any difference to how far will the rod rotate around the pivot point before that little friction stops it? (Assume I and the rod have have the exact same friction acting to both of us, so they cancel each other out)

Attempt at solution: I think I will move the same distance in both scenarios due to the impulse being the same, but I do not know about the rod, does me applying the same force for the exact same amount of time but at different distances from the pivot point affect how far the rod will rotate, I don't know

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
A fixed impulse and variable moment arm. Would you agree that it is a different impulse of angular momentum applied to the rod?

Likes Erunanethiel
Erunanethiel said:
... does me applying the same force for the exact same amount of time but at different distances from the pivot point affect how far the rod will rotate, I don't know...
Consider a distance of zero.

Likes Erunanethiel
jbriggs444 said:
A fixed impulse and variable moment arm. Would you agree that it is a different impulse of angular momentum applied to the rod?
So the rod will travel more in the second scenario?

Erunanethiel said:
So the rod will travel more in the second scenario?
Rather than directly answering that question, let me ask a different one.

Have you ever tried to open an un-latched door by pushing near the hinge?

Likes Erunanethiel
jbriggs444 said:
Rather than directly answering that question, let me ask a different one.

Have you ever tried to open an un-latched door by pushing near the hinge?
Yes it is harder to do so.

But if I push with the same force and for the same amount time near or far away from the hinge, I don't know if the amount of rotation the door changes, because even if the door is pushed close the hinge even though your hand moves very little with door, but the far end of the door moves quite a bit, sp I am confused.

Please answer it directly too

Erunanethiel said:
Yes it is harder to do so.
To achieve the same motion, you must push harder or longer. Yes, I agree.
But if I push with the same force and for the same amount time near or far away from the hinge, I don't know if the amount of rotation the door changes,
Would you agree that the door moves more slowly if you push closer to the hinge? Does that not answer the original question?

jbriggs444 said:
To achieve the same motion, you must push harder or longer. Yes, I agree.

Would you agree that the door moves more slowly if you push closer to the hinge? Does that not answer the original question?

So in the original question and in the first scenario when I am pushing close to the hinge with the same force and for the same amount of time, it makes the rod rotate less before it comes to a stop than in the second scenario where I am pushing far from the pivot point with the same force and the for the same amount of time correct?

Erunanethiel said:
So in the original question and in the first scenario when I am pushing close to the hinge with the same force and for the same amount of time, it makes the rod rotate less before it comes to a stop than in the second scenario where I am pushing far from the pivot point with the same force and the for the same amount of time correct?
Yes.

Likes Erunanethiel
jbriggs444 said:
Yes.
Thank you

1. What is the concept of "Me, A Rod and A Table With Little Friction"?

The concept refers to a simplified physics experiment involving a person standing on a frictionless surface (the table), holding a rod and attempting to move it without any resistance.

2. How does the frictionless surface affect the movement of the rod?

Without friction, the rod will have a tendency to keep moving in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force due to the absence of resistance.

3. Why is this experiment useful in studying the effects of friction?

By removing the variable of friction, the experiment allows for a more accurate observation and analysis of the other forces at play, such as inertia and gravity.

4. Can the experiment be replicated in real life?

In theory, it can be replicated by using a highly polished surface or a low-friction material. However, achieving a truly frictionless surface is practically impossible.

5. What are some real-life applications of this experiment?

The concept of minimizing friction is used in many industries, such as transportation and manufacturing, to increase efficiency and reduce energy consumption. This experiment can also help in understanding the movement of objects in space with minimal resistance.