1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Me again, got another question

1. Jul 11, 2004 #1
    This last problem seems to be causing me the most trouble:

Dropping Anchor. An iron anchor with mass 35.0 kg and density 7860 kg/m^3 lies on the deck of a small barge that has vertical sides and floats in a freshwater river. The area of the bottom of the barge is 7.95 m^2. The anchor is thrown overboard but is suspended above the bottom of the river by a rope; the mass and volume of the rope are small enough to ignore.

After the anchor is overboard and the barge has finally stopped bobbing up and down, has the barge risen or sunk down in the water?

By what vertical distance?

I'm not sure how to start this problem since the weight of the parge is unknown, but I'm guessing somehow that doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2004 #2
    Here's a question to help get you started:

When the anchor is on the deck, how much water does it displace?

4. Jul 12, 2004 #3
    if the anchor has not rested on the bottom then the answer is neither

5. Jul 12, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

another hint

Not true.

Brianjw: First answer gnome's question (that will get you thinking properly). Then consider all the forces acting on the barge in both cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?