Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Me + Curling = Russian Roulette

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Me + Curling = Russian Roulette

It is as boring as i always thought it would be. How could this be an olympic sport? How could this be a sport? How can people cheer this crap on? Anyone have any paint they need to be monitored?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, it is somewhat more of a sport than bobsleigh, IMO.

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you seen the American women's curling? Something about babes hollering, "harder, harder, . . . HARDER! . . . harder!" that I find appealing.:rolleyes:

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I had no idea. Do the men behave in this manner as well?

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    Your opinion is horribly incorrect. Curling is by far the most awesomest sport in the winter games.

7. Feb 20, 2006 #6

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They're on now (American vs. Canada). Too bad the American women lost. How do you say "harder" in Swedish anyway?

8. Feb 20, 2006 #7
    Harder in Swedish is Hårdare (å is pronounced oh) :)

9. Feb 20, 2006 #8

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Damn, one more time! American's women's curling: 5:00p today. Yum. I'm there dude.:tongue2:

10. Feb 20, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I watched a bit of it the other day and couldn't stop laughing...it's good fun...they actually called a time out and got their coach in to decide to do the obvious...try to get a stone on the bullseye while knocking an opponent's out. How come bacci ball or shuffleboard isn't a summer Olympics sport if curling is a winter Olympics sport?

11. Feb 20, 2006 #10
    Curling reminds me of a game a four year old made up while bored with his or her friends during the weekend. That, or a game that your elementary school PE teacher made up for your class to play.

12. Feb 20, 2006 #11
    We used to have to go down the the curling rink for gym class and play. I actually don't mind playing it, much better than watching it. In elementary I was actually on a curling team lol, its actually pretty popular to play out here, but I can definitely think of sports I would rather be playing..haha.

13. Feb 20, 2006 #12

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An assumption you can make about curlers at this level is they know the strategy and shots far better than most ever will and if they need to confer with their coach you can be fairly confident they had a good reason.

I don't know what the coverage is like in the US, but CBC's team is fantastic. The have very knowledgable analysts with MIke Harris and Joan McCusker, silver and gold medalists respectively in Nagano. They do a fantastic job of explaining shot options, consequences of misses, and generally what's going on. Check them out if you want to learn something about curling (they are TSN's coverage as well).

It's not a sport that the uninitiated will appreciate immediately, unless you enjoy men or women screaming "Hurry! Hurry Hard!" while splayed out on the ice with a broom in their hand and a slider on one foot. Note for anyone interested-the American men's team wears very tight shirts. I haven't seen the Swedish women play in these Olympics, but they had a total fox at last years worlds, I think it was their 2nd though I can't recall her name.

14. Feb 20, 2006 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

When you see a really good game and a stone gets just the right spin to hook behind a blocker to make a score, you're in heaven. Curling is a great game. Just because you Nintendo generation sugar addicts have the attention span of a gnat on esspresso doesn't mean the sport is bad.

15. Feb 20, 2006 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I agree.

The sport requires great skill. I used to think the sport was stupid, but it surely isn't easy at all.

16. Feb 20, 2006 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

17. Feb 20, 2006 #16

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with shmoe, FredGarvin, and JasonRox on this.

Regards,
    George

18. Feb 20, 2006 #17
    If they're going to have curling as a serious sport they need to add Snooker or Nine Ball. Those are far easier to consider a serious sport in my opinion.

19. Feb 20, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can appreciate that it takes skill and strategy, but so does shuffleboard or chess, but they don't have that at the Olympics. It looks like something that would be fun to play at family gatherings, which is why it strikes me so much funnier to see people so serious about it and actually competing in the Olympics (and it is a horrible spectator sport).

As for the time out and conferring with the coach, sorry, but I was just rolling with laugher over all that...especially because the final decision was exactly what the commentator was first saying they should do as soon as the play prior to theirs was done, and it sure looked like the obvious shot to me. Now, had they conferred and come up with some really non-obvious play that brilliantly won them the match, I'd have sobered up, but since the placement of the stones pretty much left one and only one shot, I just thought it hilarious they were all standing huddled discussing it so seriously.

20. Feb 20, 2006 #19
    Are you joking? For winter Olypmics the bobsled has to be up there next to skiing.

21. Feb 20, 2006 #20

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I'd say they have to add duck pin bowling in stead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?