EE or Mech: Which is the Better Choice for B.Tech?

• Thread starter sanjuayoobkhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether to pursue a degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) or Mechanical Engineering (ME). The participants share their opinions on the difficulty and scope of each field, with some jokingly claiming that electrical engineering is more difficult while others argue that it depends on individual strengths. The conversation also mentions the field of Mechatronics as a possible combination of both EEE and ME. Ultimately, the decision should be based on personal interest and motivation, as both fields have good career prospects.
sanjuayoobkhan
Hi I'm sanju from kerala..I finished 12 th and planning for btech.I'm confused wheather to take eee or mech...
Which has more scope and which is more easy?..I don't know what to do...
Help me please ...
Its urgent ...ineed to submit option...kerala entrance examination...

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people tend to view as electrical being the most difficult. I always joke that there are 2 types of engineers, electricals and those who weren't smart enough to be electricals.

As to which is truly harder it really depends on where your strength lie. I'm not in mech so I cannot fairly comment on what they do but what I can say is that electrical requires a good understanding of math as most of our courses tend to be math based.

Thanks for reply.

Im good at maths...hav 95% in maths at 12th...
Is der more problems to solve in eee...?or theory?
I hav opted for eee at govt eng college,trissur,kerala..also opted mech..and waiting for allotmwnt
ur openion

The ME guys at school would tease me with a little saying - there are two Es in "GEEK". My retort was that there are two Es in "BEER". Hope this helps.

My opinion:
The only thing more difficult about EE is that electronics takes a lot of imagination.
That's because our circuit parts don't move, so unlike a machinery part that you can actually manipulate you have to work a circuit "all in your head". .

In some ways EE is simpler - our units are already SI and our basic flow equations don't need a Reynolds number.

old jim

Thnx to all for your valuable information.:-)

If you have a passion for both, ME and EE, then I suggest you look at Mechatronics. It's basically a combination of both EE and ME, with basics in Computer Science. There's a lot of demand for this fields

Why are you worried about which is easier? They're both demanding fields of study.

Which do you like more? That will be a major determining factor in which you should do, as interest can get you motivated to persevere through the rough spots.

I know about mechatronics...but no govt. College offers this course...

Electrical's worth the most, because
Electrical = mechanical * civil^2

axmls said:
Electrical's worth the most, because
Electrical = mechanical * civil^2

This is untrue.

jim hardy said:
The only thing more difficult about EE is that electronics takes a lot of imagination.

I don't feel that way about electronics but I do feel that way about electrical circuits. Electronics is logical and structured, and basically not very different from physics when you think about it. :)

To the OP, it depends. You should decide your interest and move. Both branches have good scope, though EEE will generally be preferred for IT jobs over mechanical engineering. In that sense (only), EEE is better.

1. What are the main differences between Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering (EE) and Mechanical Engineering (ME) are both branches of engineering that involve the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain systems. However, the main difference between the two is the focus of their applications. EE deals with the generation, distribution, and utilization of electrical energy, while ME deals with the design and production of mechanical systems, such as machines and structures.

2. Which field has better job prospects and salary potential?

Both EE and ME have strong job prospects and salary potential. However, this can vary depending on the specific industry and location. In general, EE tends to have a higher demand for professionals due to the increasing use of technology in various industries. ME professionals also have a wide range of job opportunities, especially in the manufacturing and automotive industries. Both fields offer competitive salaries, with EE professionals typically earning slightly higher salaries.

3. Can I switch from EE to ME or vice versa after completing my degree?

It is possible to switch from EE to ME or vice versa after completing a degree, but it may require additional coursework or training. The two fields have some overlapping courses, but they also have distinct core courses that are necessary for specialization. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision to switch between the two fields.

4. What are the key skills required for each field?

The key skills required for EE include a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving abilities, and knowledge of electronics, circuits, and systems. ME professionals need to have a strong grasp of mechanics, materials, and design principles, as well as skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. Both fields also require good communication and teamwork skills.

5. How can I decide between EE and ME if I am interested in both?

If you are interested in both EE and ME, it is important to carefully research and understand the differences between the two fields. Consider your strengths and interests, as well as your long-term career goals. Talk to professionals in both fields and consider taking introductory courses in each to get a better understanding of which field aligns better with your interests and goals. You can also consider a double major or a minor in one field to gain knowledge and skills in both areas.