1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ME Statics - Wedge problem

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The crate shown is held against wedge B by a spring. The spring is 96.0% of its original uncompressed lengthl=2.75m, and the spring constant is given ask=1650N/m. The coefficient of static friction at all contacting surfaces is μs=0.150. The mass of the crate is m=22.0kg . The angle is θ=11.0∘. Neglect the mass of the wedge. Assume the crate only moves in the y direction and that wedge A cannot move.
    8.3_main.jpg
    Determine the magnitude of the smallest horizontal force P that is necessary to begin moving the crate upward.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the normal from the spring and the weight of the box to be 397N (this is known to be the correct value).

Since A can't move, we can draw a FBD of block B.

Untitled.png
    I noticed that I drew the line for the 79 degree angle for f wrong. ignore it. The 79 degrees is supposed to be along the Y-axis. The number is still correct.

Sum of the forces in X = 0 = -P + Ncos79 + .15Nsin79

Sum of the forces in Y=0=-397+NSin79 - .15Ncos79

Using a matrix to solve for P we get P=141 N which is incorrect. I've ran out of ideas here. Every way I do it I seem to get the same answer but it supposedly incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have substituted your integer answer into the equations and confirmed it's a perfect fit?

Do you know what the correct answer is supposed to be?

I make the spring & weight combo to be 397.1N (using g=9.8 m/s²).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. Nov 20, 2014 #3
    Yes. It's close enough. The answer doesn't need to be exact. It's 3 sig-figs and within 5 or 10 % and the program will let you know the answer.

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

My working agrees with your pair of ∑ f equations.

6. Nov 20, 2014 #5
    Very strange... I will ask my professor tomorrow. Thank you, Sir.

7. Nov 15, 2016 #6
    You forgot the force of static friction between the crate and block B, opposing block B moving to the left (it points to the right at the top of the block). When you sum forces in the x this will change your answer slightly for F which actually changes a lot in your answer. Hope this helps anyone else who is looking to this for help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted