ME student looking for career in submarines/submersibles

In summary, as a Mechanical Engineering student interested in a career in the submarine/submersible/under-water habitats field, it is important to take courses in fluid mechanics, ocean engineering, marine engineering, and electrical and computer engineering. Internships, research opportunities, networking, and attending conferences are also crucial for gaining experience and making connections in the field.
LTME
I am a Mechanical Engineering student with the goal of a career in the submarine/submersible/under-water habitats field. I realize that this is a very small sector, and most likely difficult to get into so I would like some ideas as to how I can better my odds of future employment in the field. Specific courses that would be helpful, ect. I am about to start my Jr year. If anyone out there is already in this field I would love to hear from you...any one not in the field is certainly welcome to chime in as well. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance!In order to best prepare for a career in submarine/submersible/under-water habitats, there are a few courses you should consider taking during your junior year. First, an engineering course focused on the design of underwater systems, such as fluid mechanics, ocean engineering, or marine engineering would be incredibly beneficial. Additionally, courses related to electrical and computer engineering that focus on the development of underwater robots, communications systems, and other advanced technologies used in submersibles could be extremely helpful. Finally, courses related to marine biology and oceanography can give you a better understanding of the environment in which these submersibles operate. Outside of academics, internships in the field or research opportunities in university labs that focus on underwater systems and technologies will give you invaluable experience and exposure. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field will increase your chances of finding employment in the long run. Finally, attending conferences related to the submersible/underwater habitats field will allow you to make connections and gain insight into the latest trends and technologies currently being used. Good luck on your journey to a career in this specialized field!

1. What qualifications do I need to have a career in submarines/submersibles as an ME student?

To have a career in submarines/submersibles as an ME student, you will need to have a degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Additionally, you will need to have strong technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work well in a team.

2. What types of jobs are available for ME students in the submarines/submersibles industry?

There are several types of jobs available for ME students in the submarines/submersibles industry, such as design engineer, maintenance engineer, propulsion engineer, and systems engineer. These roles involve designing, testing, and maintaining various components of submarines and submersibles.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain as an ME student that will be useful in a career in submarines/submersibles?

As an ME student, you will gain a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. You will also develop skills in computer-aided design (CAD), problem-solving, and project management, all of which are essential for a career in submarines/submersibles.

4. Are there any specific courses or specializations that I should focus on as an ME student interested in submarines/submersibles?

While there are no specific courses or specializations required for a career in submarines/submersibles, it would be beneficial to take courses in marine engineering, fluid mechanics, and underwater technology. Additionally, gaining experience through internships or research projects in the field would also be advantageous.

5. What are the job prospects and growth opportunities for ME students in the submarines/submersibles industry?

The submarines/submersibles industry is a niche field with a high demand for skilled engineers. As technology continues to advance, the demand for ME students in this field is expected to grow. With experience and advanced education, there are opportunities for growth and advancement into leadership roles within the industry.