Okay, so I'm standing in the store minding my own business when I see a keychain that is really a Magnesium fire starter. Hey I thought that's cool, I think I'll buy that. so I shelled out the eight bucks and brought it home. The instructions on the back say that you are supposed to use a knife to shave a pile of magnesium off of the block, then turn the block around and run the knife along a striker imbedded there. Sparks hit the pile and poof, super hot fire. The magnesium block won't burn, but the pile does, says the instructions on the back. I shaved and shaved and shaved the block and got a nice little pile of magnesium and then I sparked the sparker and poof fire. Cool. That's when I started looking for something cool to burn. I didn't see anything, then I looked at the block of magnesium. Maybe the people who wrote the instructions couldn't light the block on fire, they weren't as resourceful as I was. They didn't think about shaving a nice size pile, then prying the striker off the block, then placing the pile on top of the block and sparking it. I sparked the pile and poof, it started burning, and burning and then it went out. The block didn't catch on fire, then the piece of wood I had used to shield the carpet from the fire (I learned my lesson) started smoking. I picked it up to take it outside. I pulled the door, and the corner hit the piece of wood and the hot block of magnesium slid onto my thumb. I made that magnesium burn...me.