Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Curvature and Invariance.

1. Jun 4, 2014 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All:
    I am curious about the definition of mean curvature and its apparent lack of invariance under changes of coordinates: AFAIK, mean curvature is defined as the trace of the second fundamental form II(a,b). II(a,b) is a quadratic/bilinear form, and I do not see how its trace is invariant under (local, i.e., chartwise ) change of coordinate. I assume the solution to this (apparent) problem has to see with some result in multilinear algebra; specifically with the result that ## Hom(W,W) ≈ W\otimes W^* ## , using the fact that every map ## L: W \rightarrow W## gives rise to a bilinear form ( assuming the presence of an inner-product ). Maybe we can go in the opposite direction and get the map L from the quadratic ( second fundamental) form and then compute its trace? Even if this is possible, can we guarantee that the trace of this map is independent of the (local/coordinate-wise) choice of coordinates?

P.S: Is there a way within the settings/menu of saving the work while posting? I just wasted around 20 minutes posting only to be told that I had to log in again to be able to post. I hit the back button in my computer, but all my work had been erased.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted