Mean Curvature and Invariance.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, mean curvature is defined as the trace of the second fundamental form, which is a quadratic or bilinear form. While the second fundamental form is dependent on the choice of coordinates, its trace can be computed using a map that is invariant under changes of coordinates. This is because the map is a tensor field and its value remains the same in all coordinate systems. Saving your work while posting is not usually possible, so it is recommended to save your work in a separate document before posting.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All:
I am curious about the definition of mean curvature and its apparent lack of invariance under changes of coordinates: AFAIK, mean curvature is defined as the trace of the second fundamental form II(a,b). II(a,b) is a quadratic/bilinear form, and I do not see how its trace is invariant under (local, i.e., chartwise ) change of coordinate. I assume the solution to this (apparent) problem has to see with some result in multilinear algebra; specifically with the result that ## Hom(W,W) ≈ W\otimes W^* ## , using the fact that every map ## L: W \rightarrow W## gives rise to a bilinear form ( assuming the presence of an inner-product ). Maybe we can go in the opposite direction and get the map L from the quadratic ( second fundamental) form and then compute its trace? Even if this is possible, can we guarantee that the trace of this map is independent of the (local/coordinate-wise) choice of coordinates?

P.S: Is there a way within the settings/menu of saving the work while posting? I just wasted around 20 minutes posting only to be told that I had to log in again to be able to post. I hit the back button in my computer, but all my work had been erased.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question about the definition of mean curvature and its apparent lack of invariance under changes of coordinates. You are correct in stating that mean curvature is defined as the trace of the second fundamental form, which is a quadratic or bilinear form. This means that it is dependent on the choice of coordinates, as the values of the second fundamental form will change with different coordinate systems.

However, this does not mean that mean curvature is not a well-defined quantity. In fact, the trace of the second fundamental form can be computed using the map L that you mentioned, which is obtained from the quadratic form. This map is independent of the choice of coordinates and is therefore invariant under changes of coordinates.

To understand this better, we can look at the concept of tensor fields. The second fundamental form is a tensor field, which means it has different components in different coordinate systems. However, the trace of the second fundamental form is a scalar field, which means it remains the same regardless of the coordinate system. This is because the map L, which is used to compute the trace, is a tensor field and therefore its value remains the same in all coordinate systems.

In terms of saving your work while posting, most forums do not have a feature for this. It is always a good idea to save your work in a separate document before posting, just in case. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of mean curvature and its invariance under changes of coordinates. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is mean curvature?

Mean curvature is a measure of the average curvature of a surface at a particular point. It is calculated by averaging the principal curvatures, which are the maximum and minimum curvatures at a point.

2. How is mean curvature used in mathematics and science?

Mean curvature is used in a variety of fields such as differential geometry, physics, and computer graphics. It is a key concept in the study of surfaces and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of fluids and elastic materials.

3. What is invariance in relation to mean curvature?

Invariance refers to the property of an object or system that remains unchanged under a particular transformation or operation. In the context of mean curvature, it refers to the fact that the mean curvature of a surface is invariant under certain transformations, such as rigid motions and scaling.

4. Can mean curvature be negative?

Yes, mean curvature can be negative. This means that the surface is curved inwards, like a saddle. In contrast, a positive mean curvature indicates a surface that is curved outwards, like a sphere.

5. What are some real-world applications of mean curvature and invariance?

Mean curvature and invariance have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, materials science, and engineering. For example, mean curvature is used in the design of curved structures and in the study of surface tension in fluid dynamics. Invariance is also important in the development of algorithms for 3D modeling and image processing.