Mean Earth Temperature Data: 1951-2012

In summary: An arithmetic mean, or average, has been used as a representation of this dataset by the Berkeley Earth project.In summary, the global mean surface temperature is 14.46 degrees Celsius computed from MODIS data (2001-2012).
Hensch
Data for the mean Earth temperatur:
- For example, the average annual temperature for the globe between 1951 and 1980 was around 57.2 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Celsius). (UCAR).
- The global mean surface temperature is 14.46 °C computed from MODIS data (2001-2012).
- Estimated Jan 1951-Dec 1980 global mean temperature (°C) - using air temperature above sea ice: 14.72

The method is described for example Rohde (2013) "Berkeley Earth Temperature Averaging Process". The averaged temperature is the integral of the local temperatures above the surface. There are corrections for
latitude, elevation and “geographic anomaly”. In my opinion air pressure and humidity must also be taken into account. Does this temperature have a physical meaning?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Your question can be answered in simple terms by a calculation that assumes the sun is a ## T=6000 ## K blackbody, (approximate surface temperature of the sun), and the Earth absorbs (in a very simple model), everything from the sun that is incident on it. The Earth can then, in this simple model, be assumed to be a blackbody of some uniform temperature that radiates according to the Stefan-Boltzmann Law ## M=\sigma T^4 ##. Putting in the Earth to sun distance (using the inverse square law) in the calculation along with the diameter/radius of the sun allows one to compute a temperature ## T ## for the Earth that it will be at in this dynamic equilibrium. The temperature of the Earth is found from this calculation to be somewhere near ## T=295 \, K=22^o \, C ##. More refined calculations can be done, but this is a very interesting result that can be obtained with a very simple and straightforward calculation.

Likes jim mcnamara
Hensch said:
Does this temperature have a physical meaning?

That the measurement you cite differs from the simple radiative number Charles Link came up with suggests the atmosphere gets into the picture, as one would expect. It transfers heat from the equator toward the poles. I suppose that's why the 8 degree difference.

Physical meaning ? i don't know what to say.

Interesting though, your sources say mean temperature was cooler 2001-2012 than 1951-1980. In some circles 'them's fightin' words' . .

Likes Bystander
jim hardy said:
Interesting though, your sources say mean temperature was cooler 2001-2012 than 1951-1980. In some circles 'them's fightin' words' . .
+1

Charles Link said:
Your question can be answered in simple terms by a calculation that assumes the sun is a ## T=6000 ## K blackbody, (approximate surface temperature of the sun), and the Earth absorbs (in a very simple model), everything from the sun that is incident on it. The Earth can then, in this simple model, be assumed to be a blackbody of some uniform temperature that radiates according to the Stefan-Boltzmann Law ## M=\sigma T^4 ##. Putting in the Earth to sun distance (using the inverse square law) in the calculation along with the diameter/radius of the sun allows one to compute a temperature ## T ## for the Earth that it will be at in this dynamic equilibrium. The temperature of the Earth is found from this calculation to be somewhere near ## T=295 \, K=22^o \, C ##. More refined calculations can be done, but this is a very interesting result that can be obtained with a very simple and straightforward calculation.
I know these kind of considerations. This calculation assume a uniform distribution of the temperature. For a mean temperature of about 15°C follows an influence of the atmosphere of about 33K. From my point of view, this is wrong, because the temperature of the Earth without the atmosphere is not the -18°C. In the case without an atmosphere there is no reflection on the atmosphere/clouds and the albedo is about 14%.

My question was related to the measured mean temperature.

Okay. We are not getting what you want, I assume. So, the alternative is 20 questions.
... do you want a more comprehensive list of datasets based on differing methods of evaluation? If they exist I fail to see what you gain. What are you trying to establish?

The answer is not the "meaning" of arithmetic means - they are a representation of a dataset usually used for comparative operations, often to test/support a hypothesis. Which proposed use you have correctly dismissed as not very appropriate in this case. Help us out here, please.

EDIT - so there is less confusion I am using representation defined as:
Mathematical representation refers to methods to capture an abstract mathematical concept or relationship.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration estimates the 2016 (the most recent year available at this writing) mean global surface temperature to have been 14.84°C (58.71°F). There is a 90% probability that the true mean lies within 0.07°C (0.13°F) of this estimated mean. The year 2016 was the warmest year on record, but it must be noted that accurate records for much of the world did not exist until recently.

adaliadelle said:
But temperatures vary greatly around the world depending on the time of year, ocean and wind currents and weather conditions. Summers tend to be warmer and winters colder. Also, temperatures tend to be higher near the equator and lower near the poles.
Your point is?

Likes davenn
adaliadelle said:
But temperatures vary greatly around the world depending on the time of year, ocean and wind currents and weather conditions. Summers tend to be warmer and winters colder. Also, temperatures tend to be higher near the equator and lower near the poles.

yes they do, but did you actually read the thread title ? :wink:

"The mean Earth temperature" takes all your stated things into account to give an end result of a mean/average temperature for the earthDave

I am not sure we could actually state a mean Earth temperature, and have it mean much of anything.
The GISS states in their Q&A that they do not have a standard collection methodology.
https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/faq/abs_temp.html
""Q. What do we mean by daily mean SAT?
A. Again, there is no universally accepted correct answer. Should we note the temperature every 6 hours and report the mean, should we do it every 2 hours, hourly, have a machine record it every second, or simply take the average of the highest and lowest temperature of the day? On some days the various methods may lead to drastically different results.""
The error from the different collection methods mentioned could be as much as 2 C.
Plant are some of the only honest agents, and the plant hardiness zones have pushed a bit north, so we are warming,
but by how much, may be outside our capability.

johnbbahm said:
I am not sure we could actually state a mean Earth temperature, and have it mean much of anything...
The GISS states in their Q&A that they do not have a standard collection methodology.
https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/faq/abs_temp.html
""Q. What do we mean by daily mean SAT?
A. Again, there is no universally accepted correct answer.
...so we are warming,
but by how much, may be outside our capability.
Note that while different methods are not comparable, you can use individual methods to track changes over time as long as the methods are consistent.

I understand that each method could show an anomaly change, I take from the GISS statement, that they do
not know which method was used in the collection from the different reporting stations.

As I recall they do have a lot of data on the location of temperature monitoring stations. I think at least one group of "global warming deniers" have in the past tried to use that data to justify their point of view. I think they claimed most are in cities which might have more air conditioning units pumping out heat than they did in the past. The point is that the signature of warming appears in many different unconnected data sets.

1. What is the Mean Earth Temperature Data from 1951-2012?

The Mean Earth Temperature Data from 1951-2012 is a record of the average temperature of the Earth's surface over a period of 61 years. It is based on data collected from various sources such as weather stations, satellites, and ocean buoys.

2. Why is the Mean Earth Temperature Data important?

The Mean Earth Temperature Data is important because it helps us understand the long-term trends and patterns of global temperature changes. It also provides valuable information for climate research and policy-making decisions.

3. How is the Mean Earth Temperature Data calculated?

The Mean Earth Temperature Data is calculated by taking the average of temperature measurements from different locations around the world. These measurements are then adjusted for factors such as altitude, urbanization, and changes in instrumentation over time.

4. Is the Mean Earth Temperature Data reliable?

Yes, the Mean Earth Temperature Data is considered to be reliable as it is based on a large amount of data collected from multiple sources. However, there may be some margin of error due to variations in measurement methods and location.

5. What do the Mean Earth Temperature Data trends show?

The Mean Earth Temperature Data trends show a consistent increase in global temperature over the past several decades. This is known as global warming and is primarily attributed to human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation.