Where did the terms \overline{E \overline{P}} - \overline{\overline{E} P} go?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the notation of \overline{(E-\overline{E})(P-\overline{P})} and how it relates to \overline{EP} - \overline{E} \ \overline{P}. The speaker is confused about where the terms \overline{E \overline{P}} - \overline{\overline{E} P} went, but it is explained that they cancel out and are equal to \overline{E} \ \overline{P}.
Radiohannah
Hello!

I'm getting muddled with the notation in my notes, in which I have

[tex]\overline{(E-\overline{E})(P-\overline{P})}[/tex]

From which you can get

[tex] \overline{EP} - \overline{E} \ \overline{P}[/tex]I can see where these come from, but not where the

[tex]\overline{E \overline{P}} - \overline{\overline{E} P}[/tex]

terms vanished to?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \overline{EP} - \overline{E} \ \overline{P}[/tex]

I can see where these come from, but not where the

[tex]\overline{E \overline{P}} - \overline{\overline{E} P}[/tex]

terms vanished to?

[tex]\overline{E \overline{P}} = \overline{\overline{E} P} = \overline{E} \ \overline{P}[/tex]

so they cancel out.

Great thank you!

1. What is the definition of mean energy fluctuations?

Mean energy fluctuations refer to the average change in energy levels within a system over a certain period of time. It is a measure of the variability or instability of the system's energy.

2. How are mean energy fluctuations calculated?

To calculate mean energy fluctuations, the energy values for each data point within the time period are first averaged. Then, the standard deviation of these averaged values is calculated, which represents the magnitude of energy fluctuations.

3. What causes mean energy fluctuations?

Mean energy fluctuations can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces or fluctuations in the system's internal energy. These fluctuations can also be a result of random processes or interactions between different components of the system.

4. Why are mean energy fluctuations important in scientific research?

Mean energy fluctuations are important in scientific research because they provide insights into the stability and behavior of a system. They can also help identify patterns or trends in the system's energy levels, which can be useful in predicting future behavior.

5. How can mean energy fluctuations be minimized or controlled?

There are several ways to minimize or control mean energy fluctuations, depending on the specific system being studied. Some methods include reducing external disturbances, implementing feedback control mechanisms, or optimizing the system's design to minimize energy fluctuations.