Mean Field Theory for Fermions/Bosons

In summary: Thank you.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mean field theory in simplifying calculations in statistical physics. This technique involves approximating the interaction term in the Hamiltonian by the average value of the operators involved, rather than the specific values. This can be extended to other operators as long as the interaction term can be written in terms of the average values. It is related to Wick's theorem, but is applied differently.
Xenosum
I'm not really sure if this counts as a homework problem (I was reluctant to post in that section since they evidently force you to ensure you've used the template, even though it's not very applicable here) so much as a general misunderstanding of mean field theory. So, in Michale Plischke and Birger Bergersen's Equilibrium Statistical Physics, they make the following approximation

[tex]

\sum_{k,k^{'}}V_{k,k^{'}}b^{\dagger}_{k}b_{k^{'}} \approx \sum_{k,k^{'}}V_{k,k^{'}}\left( b^{\dagger}_k <b_{k^{'}}> + <b^{\dagger}_k > b_{k^{'}} - <b^{\dagger}_k > <b_{k^{'}}>\right)

[/tex]

where [itex] b_k [/itex] is a bosonic annihilation operator.

Can someone explain this? This is pretty much an invokation of mean field theory, but I'd like to generalize the approximation to other operators, e.g. [itex] J\sum_{i} a^{\dagger}_i a_i \vec{S}_i \vec{S}_{i+1} a^{\dagger}_{i+1} a_{i+1} [/itex]. My guess is it has something to do with Wick's theorem, but I've only ever seen this in the context of QFT.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. The approximation you mentioned is indeed related to mean field theory, specifically the Hartree-Fock approximation. This is a common technique used in statistical physics to simplify calculations and make them more tractable.

In the case of the first equation you mentioned, the mean field approximation is used to approximate the interaction term in the Hamiltonian, which is the sum over all possible pairs of bosonic annihilation and creation operators. This approximation assumes that each boson interacts only with the average value of the other boson, rather than with the specific values of the other boson. This simplifies the calculation and makes it easier to solve.

To generalize this approximation to other operators, as in the second equation you mentioned, the same principle applies. The interaction term is approximated by the average value of the operators involved, rather than the specific values. This can be extended to other operators, as long as the interaction term can be written in terms of the average values of the operators.

You are correct in thinking that this approximation is related to Wick's theorem, which is a useful tool in calculating averages of products of operators. However, in mean field theory, the approximation is applied to the interaction term, while Wick's theorem is used to calculate the averages themselves.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of mean field theory and its application in approximating interaction terms in statistical physics. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is the main concept behind Mean Field Theory for Fermions/Bosons?

Mean Field Theory is a theoretical framework used to study the behavior of a large number of interacting particles, such as fermions or bosons, in a condensed matter system. It assumes that each particle interacts with an effective "mean field" created by the other particles, rather than directly interacting with each other.

2. How does Mean Field Theory differ from other theories of many-body systems?

Unlike other theories, such as perturbation theory or variational methods, Mean Field Theory does not require detailed knowledge of the individual interactions between particles. Instead, it focuses on the overall behavior of the system as a whole. This makes it particularly useful for studying systems with a large number of particles.

3. What are some applications of Mean Field Theory in physics?

Mean Field Theory has been used to study a wide range of physical systems, including superconductors, magnets, and liquid crystals. It has also been applied to problems in nuclear physics and quantum chemistry. Additionally, it has been used to model social systems and neural networks in biology.

4. What are the limitations of Mean Field Theory?

Mean Field Theory is a simplified approach and does not account for fluctuations or correlations between particles. This can lead to inaccuracies in predicting certain properties of the system, particularly at low temperatures. Additionally, it assumes a uniform mean field, which may not be accurate in systems with strong spatial variations.

5. How does Mean Field Theory account for the different behavior of fermions and bosons?

In Mean Field Theory, fermions and bosons are treated differently due to their distinct quantum statistics. Fermions follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which restricts the occupation of energy levels, while bosons do not have this restriction. This leads to different equations and predictions for each type of particle in Mean Field Theory.