1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Field Theory of Antiferromagnetic Ising Model (Square Lattice) with Magnetic Field

1. Nov 20, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to work out a mean field theory for an antiferromagnetic Ising model on a square lattice. The Hamiltonian is:

## H = + J \sum_{<i,j>} s_{i} s_{j} - B \sum_{i} s_{i} ##
    ## J > 0 ##

I'm running into issues trying to use

## <s_{i}> = m ##

together with the self-consistency requirement that ## <s_{i}> ## also satisfies the definition of expectation value. I end up with

## m = -tanh(\beta(4mJ-B)) ##

which doesn't make much sense. No matter what, I get only one solution. I think the issue is arising from the fact that my parameter (m) is a bad one. When half the spins are up and half are down, there is zero magnetization.

I have seen some suggestions around about choosing the parameter to be something like

## (-1)^{r}(m) ##,

but people also seem to claim that this only works in the case of no external magnetic field (due to some symmetry, which is broken by the filed).

What is a good way to think about this? What is a smarter choice of parameter in this case?

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2
    I've actually seen that function before in my stat mech class, the ##m = \tanh m## one, so I think you're on the right track. I remembered me and my classmates were puzzled as well...I don't have anything else useful to say about this, sorry...

4. Nov 21, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your response! Yeah, the m=tanhm one is what you get for the regular (ferromagnetic) Ising model, which is already not so simple, as you said, but I think it's even more complicated in the antiferromagnetic case. In the latter case, nearest neighbors have opposite spins at low T, and the net magnetization is zero.

I believe I should use a variational method, in which I choose some trial, effective field and order parameter. I'm just not sure how to choose them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook