1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Mean free path and acoustics

1. Aug 8, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the implication of mean free path and pressure acoustics.

I have seen several publications on the internet and also calculated the minimum displacement of a wave in air using the formula

dp=v * rho * *2*pi*freq. * dx

The values of displacement can be as low as Angstrom or even lower.

A mosquito 3 meters away could create a 10nm displacement of air which is above the 20uPa hearing threshold for humans. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2000.1021

The mean free path in air is around 60nm.

The question is how come the continuity assumptions of classical acoustics are preserved here?
    In other words, I don't understand how we could talk about a wave if we don't have a continuity in the influence of the air molecules on each other.

Thanks in advance for your help

Best regards

Dara

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is an average displacement. The individual displacements will vary by at least these 60 nm, but averaged over something like 1020 atoms a mean displacement of 10 nm is well-defined.

4. Aug 9, 2017 #3
    thank you very much for your answer,

do you know of any book/article where the theoretical limit of movement for creating an acoustic wave is calculated/shown (considering the pressure/temperature as you have mentioned)?

thank you again for your help
    Dara

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted