1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean free path calculation

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The resistivities and Fermi speeds of Na, Au, and Sn at T = 273 K are 4.2 µ[tex]\Omega[/tex]·cm, 2.04 µ[tex]\Omega[/tex]·cm, and 10.6 µ[tex]\Omega[/tex]·cm, and 1.07e6 m/s, 1.39e6 m/s, and 1.89e6 m/s respectively. Use these values to find the mean free paths λ for the conduction electrons in these elements.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the equation I should be using is [tex]\rho[/tex]=(Me)(Vav)/(Ne)(e)^2[tex]\lambda[/tex]. The main issue with this problem is that the units are all over the place. Using this equation, I get [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 3.56nm for Na. All I'm concerned with right now is Na. I have a feeling though that since I am given the Fermi speed, I need to use a formula that incorporates the Fermi speed, but I cannot find any that seem relevant.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2
    What is V_av in this equation?
    The units of this equation are correct. The unit of Ne is m^-3, The units of e is As.

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Vav in this equation is sqrt(3kT/Me), where k= 1.38e-23 J/K. This is where I think the problem lies. Using the equation I stated in my first post, there is no place to substitute the Fermi speeds. I cannot find any equation that fits the Fermi speed to the resistivity. Since I am given the Fermi speed, I know how to find the Fermi energy, but that gets me nowhere.

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4
    Nevermind...............figured it out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook