Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Free Path of Gases with Bulk Velocities

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    Hello all,

I'm modeling a situation in which a gas moves through a pressure gradient established by a quartz frit with 40-100 μm sized pores. What I'm interested in finding out is how the mean free path of the gas changes after it exits the frit region, if at all.

I think that the mean free path of the gas should increase. I say this based off of a limiting case in which the bulk velocity of the gas (x direction) becomes far greater than the average y and z components of the velocity meaning in a given time interval, the particles travel much farther along x than along y and z, making the mean free path infinite.

What I think is happening here is that the maxwell distributions (for speeds) in the y and z direction are untouched but that the maxwell distribution in the x component gets shifted. What I think this means is that for the y and z directions, the distances traveled before collisions remain the same but in the x direction the distance that the molecules travel increases by a factor of v_exit/v_enter, meaning the total mfp changes by a factor of norm(<v_exit, v_y, v_z>)/norm (<v_enter, v_y, v_z>)

Could someone help me understand this. It would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted