Mean Free Path of Gases with Bulk Velocities

In summary, passing through a pressure gradient can increase the mean free path of gas, as the particles travel faster and can travel farther before colliding with each other. This increase is related to the difference in velocities before and after the gradient and can be seen in the shifted maxwell distribution in the x component.
nrivera494
Hello all,

I'm modeling a situation in which a gas moves through a pressure gradient established by a quartz frit with 40-100 μm sized pores. What I'm interested in finding out is how the mean free path of the gas changes after it exits the frit region, if at all.

I think that the mean free path of the gas should increase. I say this based off of a limiting case in which the bulk velocity of the gas (x direction) becomes far greater than the average y and z components of the velocity meaning in a given time interval, the particles travel much farther along x than along y and z, making the mean free path infinite.

What I think is happening here is that the maxwell distributions (for speeds) in the y and z direction are untouched but that the maxwell distribution in the x component gets shifted. What I think this means is that for the y and z directions, the distances traveled before collisions remain the same but in the x direction the distance that the molecules travel increases by a factor of v_exit/v_enter, meaning the total mfp changes by a factor of norm(<v_exit, v_y, v_z>)/norm (<v_enter, v_y, v_z>)

Could someone help me understand this. It would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
. Thanks!</code>Yes, the mean free path of the gas should increase. This is because when a gas passes through a pressure gradient, it accelerates due to the decrease in pressure. This means that the particles move faster and thus, they can travel farther before they collide with each other. The increase in the mean free path is related to the difference in velocities before and after passing through the pressure gradient. Specifically, it is proportional to the ratio of the norm of the post-gradient velocity vector to the pre-gradient velocity vector. In terms of the Maxwell distribution, the maxwell distributions for the y and z directions are unaffected by the pressure gradient. However, the maxwell distribution in the x component is shifted. This shift is related to the increase in the mean free path since the molecules can travel further in the x direction due to the increased velocity. Hope this helps!

1. What is the mean free path of gases with bulk velocities?

The mean free path of gases with bulk velocities is the average distance a gas molecule travels between collisions with other molecules.

2. How is the mean free path of gases with bulk velocities calculated?

The mean free path is calculated using the kinetic theory of gases, which takes into account the temperature, pressure, and molecular diameter of the gas.

3. Why is the mean free path of gases with bulk velocities important?

The mean free path is an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases, as it helps to explain diffusion, viscosity, and other properties.

4. Does the mean free path of gases with bulk velocities change with different gases?

Yes, the mean free path varies depending on the type of gas. Generally, heavier gases have shorter mean free paths due to their higher molecular mass.

5. How does bulk velocity affect the mean free path of gases?

The mean free path decreases as the bulk velocity of a gas increases. This is because faster-moving molecules have less time between collisions, resulting in shorter mean free paths.