1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean free path

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a)What is the mean free path for oxygen molecules at 300K and atmospheric
    pressure (105 Pa) and the average frequency of collisions for a particular molecule?
    (The diameter of an oxygen molecule is 0.29 nm).

(b)What is the mean free path of oxygen molecules at an altitude of 300 km, where
    the pressure is only 10-11 atmospheres? (Assume the temperature is 300 K). Comment
    on the implications of your result for simulating conditions at these altitudes in the
    laboratory.

(c) Compare the ratio of λ to the average molecular separation for oxygen at sea level
    and at an altitude of 300 km.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\lambda = \frac{kT}{4*\pi*\sqrt{2}*r^{2}p}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done parts (b) and (c) I think, and got answers of 1.11*10^-9m and 1.11*10^9m for the mean free paths. I have no idea how to do part (c) though. Just thinking about it, you would expect the ratio to stay roughly 1, since the average molecular separation and mean free path should increase alongside one another. How do you get an estimate of the average separation though?!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you get the number of molecules per m3, given temperature and pressure? That's helpful in determining the average molecular separation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook