Calculating Mean Free Path of Molecules in a Test Tube

In summary, the mean free path of the molecules in the test tube can be calculated using the equation λ = 1/ pi * d^2 * n, where d is the diameter of the test tube and n is the density of molecules. The distance traveled between two subsequent collisions is given by the formula \lambda = \frac{L}{N}= \frac{1}{d^2\pi n}.
n.hirsch1

Homework Statement

A test tube of cylindrical shape having a length of 10 cm and a diameter of 2 cm contains 20 * 10 ^23 molecules (molecular size d = 3 * 10^-10 m). What is the mean free path of these molecules??

Homework Equations

λ = 1/ pi * d^2 * n

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an equation I have never used before and my textbook doesn't help with either. I tried to solve it by:
1 / pi * (2 cm)^2 * (20 * 10^23 / 3*10^-12 cm)
I haven't ever done something like it before, am I on the right track with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mean free path is the distance between two subsequent collisions between the molecules. When the molecules touch each other, their centres are d distance apart (d is the diameter). The molecules are in motions and will collide with all molecules along their path get closer to centre -to centre than the diameter. Look at the blue molecule in the figure: When it travels along a path of length L it will collide with all molecules with centre confined in a cylinder of diameter 2d and length L.
If the density of molecules is n, the number of molecules in this cylinder is N= n*d^2*pi*L, there are N collisions along L length: the distance traveled between two subsequent collision is

[tex] \lambda = \frac{L}{N}= \frac{1}{d^2\pi n}[/tex]

You know the number of the molecules in a known volume, so you can determine n.

ehild

Last edited:

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the concept of mean free path and how it relates to the given scenario. The mean free path is the average distance a molecule travels between collisions with other molecules. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases.

To calculate the mean free path of the molecules in the test tube, we can use the equation λ = 1/π * d^2 * n, where λ is the mean free path, d is the molecular size, and n is the number of molecules per unit volume.

Using the given values, we can substitute them into the equation as follows:

λ = 1/π * (3 * 10^-10 m)^2 * (20 * 10^23 molecules / 0.0002 m^3)

Simplifying this, we get:

λ = 1.5 * 10^-6 m or 1.5 micrometers

This means that on average, a molecule in the test tube will travel 1.5 micrometers before colliding with another molecule. This value may seem small, but it is significant in understanding the behavior of gases. It also shows that even in a seemingly empty space, there are still a large number of molecules present and constantly colliding with each other.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of mean free path and how to calculate it. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is the mean free path of molecules?

The mean free path of molecules is the average distance a molecule can travel in a straight line before colliding with another molecule.

2. How do you calculate the mean free path of molecules in a test tube?

The mean free path can be calculated by dividing the volume of the test tube by the total number of molecules present and then multiplying it by the diameter of the molecules.

3. What factors affect the mean free path of molecules?

The mean free path can be affected by the size of the molecules, the temperature, pressure, and the density of the gas in the test tube. Higher temperatures and lower pressures tend to result in longer mean free paths.

4. Why is the mean free path important in understanding gas behavior?

The mean free path is important because it helps us understand how molecules interact with each other in a gas. It can also provide insights into the diffusion and transport of gases in various environments.

5. Can the mean free path of molecules be changed?

Yes, the mean free path of molecules can be changed by altering the temperature, pressure, or density of the gas in the test tube. Additionally, changing the size or type of molecules present can also affect the mean free path.