1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean free path

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A test tube of cylindrical shape having a length of 10 cm and a diameter of 2 cm contains 20 * 10 ^23 molecules (molecular size d = 3 * 10^-10 m). What is the mean free path of these molecules??

2. Relevant equations
    λ = 1/ pi * d^2 * n

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is an equation I have never used before and my text book doesn't help with either. I tried to solve it by:
    1 / pi * (2 cm)^2 * (20 * 10^23 / 3*10^-12 cm)
    I haven't ever done something like it before, am I on the right track with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The mean free path is the distance between two subsequent collisions between the molecules. When the molecules touch each other, their centres are d distance apart (d is the diameter). The molecules are in motions and will collide with all molecules along their path get closer to centre -to centre than the diameter. Look at the blue molecule in the figure: When it travels along a path of length L it will collide with all molecules with centre confined in a cylinder of diameter 2d and length L.
    If the density of molecules is n, the number of molecules in this cylinder is N= n*d^2*pi*L, there are N collisions along L length: the distance travelled between two subsequent collision is

[tex] \lambda = \frac{L}{N}= \frac{1}{d^2\pi n}[/tex]

You know the number of the molecules in a known volume, so you can determine n.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook