Mean Occupation Number of Non-interacting quantum fluids

In summary, the book "Concepts in Thermal Physics" has two contradicting sections regarding the mean occupation number. The first section uses the grand partition function and takes the differential of ln Z, while the second section simply takes the differential of Z. This is due to an error in the book, as clarified by the author in the errata.
unscientific
Hi, I get two contradicting sections of the book "Concepts in Thermal Physics":

Earlier in the section they used the grand partition function to derive the mean occupation number ##<n_i> = -\frac{1}{\beta}\frac{\partial ln Z}{\partial E_i}##

Later in the section, they said ##<n_k> = \frac{1}{\beta}\frac{\partial Z_k}{\partial \mu}##

Why does the first expression take the differential of ##ln Z## and the second expression simply takes the differential of ##Z##?

mbu0yf.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps, it was earlier defined that ##Z = \Pi_i\left( 1 \pm e^{\beta(\mu - E_i)}\right)^{\pm 1}##

bumpp

It should be ln Z, it's just an error in the book. And the author is aware of it already, see this errata.

Likes 1 person

What is the mean occupation number of non-interacting quantum fluids?

The mean occupation number of non-interacting quantum fluids refers to the average number of particles occupying a particular energy level in a non-interacting quantum fluid system. It is a statistical quantity that describes the probability of finding a particle in a specific energy state.

How is the mean occupation number calculated?

The mean occupation number is calculated by taking the sum of all the possible occupation numbers for a given energy level and dividing it by the total number of particles in the system. This can also be expressed as the average number of particles in a particular energy state.

What is the significance of the mean occupation number in quantum fluids?

The mean occupation number is an important quantity in quantum fluids as it helps to describe the distribution of particles within the system. It can also provide information about the energy levels that are most populated and the overall energy distribution of the system.

How does the mean occupation number change with temperature?

The mean occupation number is directly related to the temperature of the system. As the temperature increases, the average number of particles occupying a particular energy state also increases. This is due to the thermal energy allowing more particles to occupy higher energy levels.

Can the mean occupation number be used to predict the behavior of quantum fluids?

Yes, the mean occupation number can be used to predict the behavior of quantum fluids, such as their thermodynamic properties and phase transitions. It is an important quantity in statistical mechanics and is often used in theoretical models to describe the behavior of quantum fluids.