Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Mean orbital kinetic energy

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1

Ado

Hi!

I search the way to calculate the average orbital kinetic energy like is given in :http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/Ionization/bun.php?Id=AlI (here is for aluminum).

I would like use the underlying method to calculate the average orbital kinetic energy for the silicon (Si) element.

If you know how to proceed ... thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The data for Al presented in that table is from Y.-K. Kim and P.M. Stone, Phys. Rev. A 64, 052707 (2001). Looking at that reference, they mention
    with Ref. [25] being J. P. Desclaux, in Methods and Techniques in Computational Chemistry: METECC-94, Vol. A: Small Systems, edited by E. Clementi STEF, Cagliari, 1993, Chap. 5.

You'll have to look up that reference.

4. Feb 1, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

In general, those calculations are quite complex, and often experimental approaches are also relevant or even necessary.

5. Feb 1, 2017 #4
    Would the complications be lessened given that Al and Si are next to each other in the periodic table?

6. Feb 2, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

For the innermost orbitals you might get some reasonable approximation by just scaling them. For the outermost orbitals I wouldn't do that.

7. Feb 3, 2017 #6

Ado

@DrClaude : Damned! I had only seen the table of data and I had not seen the references ...!

Thanks all for your answers !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted