Mean power dissipated in resistor in ac circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the average power in an AC circuit. The original attempt at solving it by averaging the current was incorrect because power is proportional to the square of the current. Instead, the mean of the square of the current should be used to calculate the mean power. This is due to the fact that the mean of the square of a quantity is not equal to the square of the mean of the quantity. The conversation also touched on the nature of power as a scalar quantity and the importance of using the correct method to calculate the average power in an AC circuit.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2015-8-22_22-16-17.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am surprised that this question came up, I haven't learned ac circuits yet. I don't know how to solve this. I just added both values and current and divide it by two, which gives me 1.5A, since I thought it's the average but I'm wrong. Answer is C. I really don't know how to get that value.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason your method didn't work is due to the fact that the power is not proportional to the current. It's proportional to the square of the current.

It might help to determine the value of the power when the current is 2 A and the value when the current is -1 A.

TSny said:
The reason your method didn't work is due to the fact that the power is not proportional to the current. It's proportional to the square of the current.

It might help to determine the value of the power when the current is 2 A and the value when the current is -1 A.
Oh I see. Thanks. I have to do it this way because power is a scalar, is it? Why can't I square the value of 1.5A instead?

toforfiltum said:
Oh I see. Thanks. I have to do it this way because power is a scalar, is it?
It's not because its a scalar quantity, it's because the mean of the square of a quantity is not equal to the square of the mean of the quantity. For example, for the two numbers 2 and 4 the mean of the square of the numbers is (22 + 42)/2 = 10. But the square of the mean of the numbers is 32 = 9.

Power is proportional to the square of the current. So you need to use the mean of the square of the current to get the mean power.

Likes toforfiltum
TSny said:
It's not because its a scalar quantity, it's because the mean of the square of a quantity is not equal to the square of the mean of the quantity. For example, for the two numbers 2 and 4 the mean of the square of the numbers is (22 + 42)/2 = 10. But the square of the mean of the numbers is 32 = 9.

Power is proportional to the square of the current. So you need to use the mean of the square of the current to get the mean power.
Thanks for the really neat explanation.

1. What is the formula for calculating mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit?

The formula for calculating mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit is P = Vrms * Irms * cos(θ), where Vrms is the root mean square voltage, Irms is the root mean square current, and θ is the phase angle between the voltage and current.

2. How is mean power different from instantaneous power in an AC circuit?

Mean power is the average power dissipated over a complete cycle of an AC circuit, while instantaneous power is the power dissipated at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous power can vary greatly throughout a cycle, but the mean power will remain constant.

3. What factors affect the mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit?

The mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit is affected by the voltage and current amplitudes, the phase angle between them, and the resistance of the resistor.

4. Can the mean power dissipated in a resistor ever be negative in an AC circuit?

No, the mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit is always positive because the cosine of any angle cannot be negative.

5. How does a capacitor or inductor affect the mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit?

A capacitor or inductor can affect the mean power dissipated in a resistor in an AC circuit by changing the phase angle between the voltage and current, which in turn affects the cos(θ) term in the power formula.