1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean radius of a cylinder

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am working a homework problem that is trying to find the mean radius, [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] from the midpoint of a cylinder.

The problem states:
    What is the mean radius, [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] from the midpoint of a cylinder of radius a and height h to its boundary surface? Evalute mean radius [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] for a = h/2 = 10 cm.

2. Relevant equations

The relavent equation is [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] = (1/4pi)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int^[/tex] r sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]d[tex]\vartheta[/tex]d[tex]\beta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem and formula above is from Attix's textbook. In this case I think the limits for beta need to be 0 to 2pi for a cylinder.

I'm not sure what the limits for theta should be. I'm think it's 0 to pi.
    I need to express r in terms of theta - but I'm not sure how.

Attix gives the answer as 11.32 cm.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would use cylindrical coordinates [itex](s,\phi,z)[/itex] if I were you...the distance from the center of the cylinder (the origin) to a general point on the cylinder [itex](s,\phi,z)[/itex] is then [itex]\sqrt{s^2+z^}[/itex]...then all you need to do is average that over all three surfaces of the cylinder.

What is the general formula for averaging a function over a surface [itex]\mathcal{S}[/itex]?...Use that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?