1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Square Deviations of density - need clarification please

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    I am very lost when expectation values meet DENSITY.

I know the following:
    <X> = sum[X*prob(X)]
    <(dX)^2>=<X^2>-<X>^2

I am COMPLETELY lost on how to find the "value" X and its "probability" P(X) in situations dealing with DENSITY.

This might be best described by an example:

Given: (e-1)/(e+2)=Ap e=dielectric constant; A=constant; p=DENSITY

Show that the fluctuations in dielectric constant of a small quantity of N moles of matter in a large system are:

<(de)^2>= [kT(kappa) *(e-1)^2 * (e+2)^2 ] / 9V where V is avg volume

----------------------

In short....where do I even begin to calculate <e> or <e^2>?? I fail to understand how this problem even relates to the expectation value...

An expectation value is found by taking the value at a given point, times its probability right? (Sum of[X*P(X)] where P(X) is the probability that X will happen). How does this relate in any way to the given problem??

Am I mistaken in my understanding or can anyone at least point me in the slightest of directions? 5 hours later and nothing to show for it is incredibly frustrating.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted