Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Square Deviations of density - need clarification please

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    I am very lost when expectation values meet DENSITY.

I know the following:
    <X> = sum[X*prob(X)]
    <(dX)^2>=<X^2>-<X>^2

I am COMPLETELY lost on how to find the "value" X and its "probability" P(X) in situations dealing with DENSITY.

This might be best described by an example:

Given: (e-1)/(e+2)=Ap e=dielectric constant; A=constant; p=DENSITY

Show that the fluctuations in dielectric constant of a small quantity of N moles of matter in a large system are:

<(de)^2>= [kT(kappa) *(e-1)^2 * (e+2)^2 ] / 9V where V is avg volume

----------------------

In short....where do I even begin to calculate <e> or <e^2>?? I fail to understand how this problem even relates to the expectation value...

An expectation value is found by taking the value at a given point, times its probability right? (Sum of[X*P(X)] where P(X) is the probability that X will happen). How does this relate in any way to the given problem??

Am I mistaken in my understanding or can anyone at least point me in the slightest of directions? 5 hours later and nothing to show for it is incredibly frustrating.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted