Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.)

Another source of errors is the use of the word "mean" to mean both average and standard deviation. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability distribution, mean value, and mean square fluctuation of particle energy in a potential box with infinitely high walls. The energy operator is also mentioned, as well as the expectation value and the formula for mean square fluctuation. The question is raised about what the mean fluctuation refers to, and the confusion over the expectation value of H2 is addressed.
NikBreslin

Homework Statement

A state of a particle in the potential box of width a with infinitely high walls is described by the wave function:
Ψ(x)=Ax(x-a)
Find the probability distribution of various value of particle energy, mean value and mean square fluctuation of energy.

Homework Equations

Energy Operator H: -hbar2 / 2m * d2/dx2
Expectation Value of H is Integral of Ψ*HΨ with respect to x
ΔC2=(<H2>-<H>2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if by mean fluctuation they mean ΔC or ΔC2 I have solved the first 2 parts and know the expectation value is 5 hbar2/(m*a2). Because of the wave equation I know expectation value of H2 is 0. So is my answer ΔC or ΔC2 and if it is the prior, what does an imaginary value mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
NikBreslin said:
I'm not sure if by mean fluctuation they mean ΔC or ΔC2
The question asked is "mean square fluctuation of energy.
NikBreslin said:
Because of the wave equation I know expectation value of H2 is 0.
Can you explain this?

On edit: The definition of mean square fluctuation is
##\left < H^2 - <H> \right >^2##. This cannot be negative. Derive the expression you quoted for the mean square fluctuation from this definition and you will see where and why you got confused.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
On edit: The definition of mean square fluctuation is
##\left < H^2 - <H> \right >^2##.
Typo: ##\left < H - \langle H \rangle \right >^2##

DrClaude said:
Typo: ⟨H−⟨H⟩⟩2
Thanks, @DrClaude.

DrClaude said:
Typo: ##\left < H - \langle H \rangle \right >^2##
That would be identically zero. You mean
$$
\left< (H - \langle H\rangle)^2\right>
$$

Likes DrClaude and BvU
Orodruin said:
That would be identically zero. You mean
##\left< (H - \langle H\rangle)^2\right>##
Yesss.

Does this thread break the record number of typos? (At least by different people :rolleyes:)

DrClaude said:
Does this thread break the record number of typos? (At least by different people)
I don't think it's the typos as much as the "reados", if I may coin the word, because of the notation involving nested angular brackets and parentheses. This, ##<\psi |(H-<H>)^2|\psi>## is more legible and easier to proofread, at least to people familiar with Dirac notation.

1. What is Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.)?

Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) is a statistical measure used in physics and other scientific fields to quantify the amount of variation or fluctuation in a system. It is calculated by taking the average of the squared deviations from the mean of a set of data points.

2. How is Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) different from standard deviation?

While both Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) and standard deviation measure the amount of variation in a set of data, they differ in the way they are calculated. Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) takes the average of the squared deviations from the mean, while standard deviation takes the square root of the average of the squared deviations from the mean.

3. What is the significance of Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) in scientific research?

Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) is a useful tool in scientific research as it allows for the quantification of the amount of variation or fluctuations in a system. This can help researchers understand the stability and behavior of a system, and make comparisons between different systems or experimental conditions.

4. How is Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) used in molecular dynamics simulations?

In molecular dynamics simulations, Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) is used to analyze the movement and stability of individual atoms or molecules within a system. It can help researchers identify regions of high flexibility or changes in conformation, which can provide insights into the behavior and interactions of molecules.

5. Can Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) be used to predict future behavior?

No, Mean Square Fluctuation (Q.M.) cannot be used to predict future behavior. It is a measure of the amount of variation or fluctuations in a system at a specific point in time, and cannot account for external factors or changes in conditions that may affect the system's behavior in the future.