1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean squared convergnce of normal random variables to the boundary of the unit sphere

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Y_i be standard normal random variables, and let X be an N vector of random variables, X=(X_1, ..., X_N) where X_i = 1/{sqrt{N}} * Y_i. I want to show that as N goes to infinity, the vector X becomes "close" to the unit sphere.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to show for N large, ||X||^2 is concentrated around the boundary of the sphere, and I am told that I can frame this in terms of convergence of mean-squared. I have no idea how to formulate this problem in terms of mean-squared convergence.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2
    Re: Mean squared convergnce of normal random variables to the boundary of the unit sp

You want to prove that ||x||^2→1 in the mean square sense, which means as a random variable, the mean of ||x||^2 is 1 and variance is 0 as N→inf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook