Calculating Mean Thermal Wavelength for Relativistic Particles | Tutorial"

In summary, there are different equations for calculating the mean thermal wavelength for relativistic particles, depending on whether they are massive or massless. For massless particles, the equation is lambda = (hc)/(pi^(1/3)2kT), while for massive particles, the thermal de Broglie wavelength is used. However, there is a general equation proposed for all particles that takes into account the dispersion relation and the number of dimensions they live in.
shahrzad64
hi
i want to calculate "mean thermal wavelenght for relativistic particles"for example for photon .
i don't khow how can i do it.
please help me.
thankyou.

Science news on Phys.org
There are different (final) equations for massless particles than for massive particles. For massless particles, you use,
[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{\pi^{1/3} 2kT}[/tex]
and for massive particles, you use the thermal de Broglie wavelength. In general, you can extract a thermal wavelength out of the dispersion relation for the particle.

Gokul43201 said:
There are different (final) equations for massless particles than for massive particles. For massless particles, you use,
[tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{\pi^{1/3} 2kT}[/tex]
and for massive particles, you use the thermal de Broglie wavelength. In general, you can extract a thermal wavelength out of the dispersion relation for the particle.

thankyou for your answer
i know this relation for phonon,but can you send for me relations ,that give this equetion .
in fact ,i don't khow how can i obtain this equation
thankyou

One answer is that it is simply defined this way, and needs no derivation, but that would not be an accurate statement. In fact, there is a paper that proposes a generalized equation for the thermal wavelength for all particles (living in n-dimensional space) with a power law dispersion relation.

Z. Yan, "General thermal wavelength and its applications", Eur. J. Phys. 21 (2000) 625

1. What is the formula for calculating mean thermal wavelength for relativistic particles?

The formula is given by λth = h/(mc), where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is mean thermal wavelength related to the temperature of the particles?

Mean thermal wavelength is inversely proportional to the temperature of the particles. As the temperature increases, the mean thermal wavelength decreases.

3. Can mean thermal wavelength be used to measure the energy of relativistic particles?

Yes, mean thermal wavelength can be used to calculate the energy of relativistic particles through the formula E = hc/λth.

4. Is mean thermal wavelength only applicable to relativistic particles?

No, mean thermal wavelength can also be used to calculate the energy of non-relativistic particles, but it is more commonly used for relativistic particles since their speeds are closer to the speed of light.

5. How does mean thermal wavelength relate to the de Broglie wavelength?

The de Broglie wavelength is a concept used to describe the wave-like behavior of particles, while the mean thermal wavelength is used to calculate the average distance between particles. They are related through the formula λdB = λth/√3.