Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean thermal wavelenght

1. Dec 24, 2007 #1
    hi
    i want to calculate "mean thermal wavelenght for relativistic particles"for example for photon .
    i dont khow how can i do it.
    please help me.
    thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are different (final) equations for massless particles than for massive particles. For massless particles, you use,
    [tex]\lambda = \frac{hc}{\pi^{1/3} 2kT}[/tex]
    and for massive particles, you use the thermal de Broglie wavelength. In general, you can extract a thermal wavelength out of the dispersion relation for the particle.

4. Dec 25, 2007 #3
    thankyou for your answer
    i know this relation for phonon,but can you send for me relations ,that give this equetion .
    in fact ,i dont khow how can i obtain this equation
    thankyou

5. Dec 25, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One answer is that it is simply defined this way, and needs no derivation, but that would not be an accurate statement. In fact, there is a paper that proposes a generalized equation for the thermal wavelength for all particles (living in n-dimensional space) with a power law dispersion relation.

Z. Yan, "General thermal wavelength and its applications", Eur. J. Phys. 21 (2000) 625

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?