The Mean Value Inequality: Understanding and Applications

In summary, the statement of the mean value inequality (MVI) states that for a continuously differentiable function f on an open convex subset A of R^n, with uniformly Lipschitz family (Df(x)) on R^n, the inequality ||f(x_2)-f(x_1)||<=M||x_2-x_1|| holds for any x_1, x_2 in A. This is similar to the mean value theorem (MVT) for m=1. However, the proof for MVI involves using the fundamental theorem of calculus (FTC) and the triangle inequality for integrals, which leads to a stronger conclusion than the MVT.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The statement of the mean value inequality (MVI) is as follows:

"Let A be an open convex subset of R^n and let f:A-->R^m be continuously differentiable and such that ||Df(x)(y)||<=M||y|| for all x in A and y in R^n (i.e. the family
[itex](Df(x))_{x \in A}[/itex] is uniformly lipschitz of constant M on R^n). Then for any x_1, x_2 in A, we have ||f(x_2)-f(x_1)||<=M||x_2-x_1||."

If m=1, then this is just the mean value theorem (MVT) plus the triangle inequality. But otherwise, the MVT applied to each component of f separately only leads ||f(x_2)-f(x_1)||<=mM||x_2-x_1||. So the proof suggested by the book I'm reading is that we write f(x_2)-f(x_1) using the fondamental theorem of calculus (FTC) as

[tex]f(x_2)-f(x_1)=\int_0^1\frac{d}{dt}f(x_1+t(x_2-x_1))dt=\int_0^1Df(x_1+t(x_2-x_1))(x_2-x_1)dt[/tex]

and then use the triangle inequality for integrals to get the result.

But notice that the integrand is an element of R^m. So by the above, they certainly mean

[tex]f(x_2)-f(x_1)=\sum_{j=1}^me_j\int_0^1Df_j(x_1+t(x_2-x_1))(x_2-x_1)dt[/tex]

which does not, to my knowledge, allows for a better conclusion than ||f(x_2)-f(x_1)||<=mM||x_2-x_1||.

Am I mistaken?

Thanks!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a different understanding of the mean value theorem, especially as the above doesn't mention a mean value. Anyway, it all comes down to show that
$$
\left| \left|\int_0^1 Df(x_1+t(x_2-x_1))\,dt \right| \right| \leq M
$$
and the left hand side is limited from above by the rectangle of ##\sup Df## and ##(1-0)##, ergo ##M##.

What is the Mean Value Inequality?

The Mean Value Inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality, states that for two real-valued functions f and g on a closed interval [a,b], the following inequality holds: ∫aˆb f(x)g(x)dx ≤ (∫aˆb f(x)^2dx)^1/2 * (∫aˆb g(x)^2dx)^1/2. This means that the product of the integrals of two functions is less than or equal to the product of the square roots of the integrals of the squared functions.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Inequality?

The Mean Value Inequality is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many important applications. It is commonly used in calculus, analysis, and probability theory. It is also used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to prove the existence of solutions to various problems.

How is the Mean Value Inequality used in calculus?

The Mean Value Inequality is used in calculus to prove important theorems, such as the Mean Value Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is also used to estimate values of integrals and to prove convergence of certain sequences and series.

Can the Mean Value Inequality be extended to multiple variables?

Yes, the Mean Value Inequality can be extended to multiple variables. In this case, it is called the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality for Inner Products, and it states that for two vectors in an inner product space, the dot product of the two vectors is less than or equal to the product of the norms of the two vectors.

Are there any other inequalities related to the Mean Value Inequality?

Yes, there are several other inequalities related to the Mean Value Inequality, such as the Hölder's Inequality and the Minkowski's Inequality. These inequalities all have similar forms and are used for different purposes in mathematics and other fields.