Does the Mean Value of a Function Tend to Zero as T Increases to Infinity?

In summary, we discuss the behavior of a function f(x) as T approaches infinity and its corresponding integral over the interval [0,T]. We also consider the case of an oscillating function and its limit as T approaches infinity, using an example of f(x)=sin(x). The limit in this case is 0.
zetafunction
let be a function so [tex] \frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}f(x)dx =0 [/tex]

as T--->oo does it man that the function f(x) tends to ' as x--->oo what if 'f' is an oscillating function ??

Physics news on Phys.org
zetafunction said:
let be a function so [tex] \frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}f(x)dx =0 [/tex]

as T--->oo does it man that the function f(x) tends to ' as x--->oo
I have no clue what you mean by that. What does ' mean?

what if 'f' is an oscillating function ??
Well, did you try an example? What if f(x)= sin(x)?

The integral oscillates (and is bounded) but the denominator gets larger and larger. The limit is 0.

I think "zetafunction" means

[tex] \lim_{T \to \infty } \frac{1}{T} \int_{0}^{T} f(x) dx [/tex]

Just quote my post, to see how I made it.

What is the mean value of a function?

The mean value of a function is the average value of the function over a given interval.

How is the mean value of a function calculated?

The mean value of a function is calculated by taking the integral of the function over the given interval and dividing it by the length of the interval.

Why is the mean value of a function important?

The mean value of a function is important because it provides a single value that summarizes the behavior of the function over a given interval. It can also be used to find important characteristics of the function such as the average rate of change.

What is the relationship between the mean value of a function and the average rate of change?

The mean value of a function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the given interval. This means that the mean value can be used to find the slope of the secant line between two points on the function.

Can the mean value of a function be negative?

Yes, the mean value of a function can be negative. This occurs when the function is below the x-axis for a portion of the given interval. However, the mean value is typically interpreted as the average of the absolute values of the function, so it will be positive in most cases.