1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Value Theorem Calculus 1

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the function f(x)=2x^3−12x^2−72x+6 on the interval [−4,7] . Find the average or mean slope of the function on this interval.

2. Relevant equations

MEAN VALUE THEOREM
    [tex]f'(c) = \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

When I set this problem up in the mean value theorem I found that

6c^2 - 24c - 72 = (-400+26)/(11)
    Finally giving me

6c^2 - 24c -38 = 0

Solving with the quadriatic equation I got

[tex]2\pm\frac{\sqrt93}{3}[/tex]

Which I know is correct, but the program says it is not correct so maybe the question is not asking for me to do this.....?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    I am honestly not for sure what you are doing. You just have some equations there. What the mean value theorem says is that on a closed interval [a,b], there exists a point c such that f'(c)="mean slope of f over the interval [a,b]". What equation gives you the mean slope?

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    I was finding the value of "c" in the mean value theorem, because I was overthinking this problem. After I read your post several times it finally sunk in that the mean slope is equal to (y1-y0)/(x1-x0). Which is -34 and the answer to the problem. Thank you for the help.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    Great! Yes, (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a) is the mean slope over the interval [a,b]. Just to reiterate, the mean value theorem guarantees there is at least one point c such that f'(c) is exactly equal to the mean slope over [a,b].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook