Mean Value Theorem, I beleive

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Mean Value Theorem to show that at some point between 2:00PM and 2:10PM, the acceleration of a car is exactly 90km/h^2. The conversation also mentions Rolle's Theorem and how it relates to this problem. After some confusion, the correct approach is determined to be setting the time in hours and using MVT to find the acceleration in km/h^2.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

At 2:00PM a car's speedometer reads 50km/h. At 2:10PM it reads 65km/h. Show that at some time between 2:00 and 2:10 the acceleration is exactly 90km/h^2.

Homework Equations

Mean Value Theorem

If f is continuous on [a,b] and f is differentiable on (a,b) then there exists an x value, c, in (a,b) so that:

[tex] f'(c) = \frac {f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} [/tex]

Rolle's Theorem

If f is continuous on [a,b] and f is differentiable on (a,b) and f(a)=f(b) then there is an x value, c, in (a,b) where f'(c)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So i am fairly certain that we are suppose to use the MVT here for this problem but I am not really sure where to go. I wrote down Rolle's Theorem just because it is the other theorem we are using in this section.

To start I stated that x will be minutes after 2:00PM and y will be the velocity measured in km/h so at x = 0, y = 50 and when x = 10, y = 65 so using MVT:

[tex] f'(c)= \frac {65-50}{10-0} = \frac {15}{10} [/tex]

but I am not sure where that gets me... is that the correct way to go about it or any I doing it wrong?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I just realized that if i set x to hours instead of minutes and use x = 1/6 y = 65km/h

using MVT

[tex] f'(c) = \frac {65-50}{\frac{1}{6}-0} = \frac {15}{\frac{1}{6}} = 15*6=90 \frac{km}{h^{2}} [/tex]

so its pretty simple, using the right units, lol.

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on an interval, there exists a point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function on that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove many other important theorems in calculus, such as the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is also used to find maximum and minimum values of a function on a given interval.

3. Who discovered the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem was first formulated by French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy in the early 19th century. However, it was later named after German mathematician Karl Weierstrass, who also made significant contributions to its development.

4. What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

To apply the Mean Value Theorem, the function must be continuous on the closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the endpoints of the interval must have the same function value.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is used in economics to analyze the average rate of change of a company's stock prices over a given time period. It is also used in physics to calculate the average velocity of a moving object on a given interval.