1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Value theorem question

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What set(s) are a and b assumed to be elements of? Does the mean Value Theorem make a universal claim (for all a ... for all b) or an existential claim (there exists a ... there exists b) about a and b? Explain how you came to this conclusion.

2. Relevant equations

We were told to look at the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_value_theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

Initially I thought that a and b are assumed to be elements of the domain of the function in question... so assumed that f(x) fulfills the antecedent of the theorem, then for every a, b in the domain of f(x) the consequent is true.

But then can I also assume that a and b are all elements of the real numbers, then for every function that happens to be continuous on this interval, the consequent is true?

Does that matter? Am I confusing myself? lol.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The hypotheses are that a and b are real numbers and f is a function such that:

f(x) is continuous on [a,b]
    f'(x) exists on (a,b)

Does that help you think through your question?

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Yeah I think you just answered my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook