1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean value theorem!

1. Dec 4, 2003 #1
    oks...im having problems applying the mean value theorem...i understand the concept behind it but whenever i try 2 do a question i have no idea wat 2 do...heres 1 question i've been trying:

Showing all your work, apply the Mean Value Theorem to show
    that the function arctan x - x is equal to zero only at x = 0 .

where do i start??? thx.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The mean value theorem says that if f is differentiable on (a,b) then for some c between a and b, f'(c)= (f(b)- f(a))/(b-a).

Certainly tan(x) is differentiable for x between -pi/2 and pi/2 so also is tan(x)- x.

Suppose tan(b)- b= 0 for some b (between -pi/2 and pi/2). Apply the mean value theorem between 0 and b.
    There must be a point c between 0 and b so that f'(c)= (f(b)- f(a))/(b-a) = 0. But for f(x)= tan(x)- x, f'(x)= sec2(x)- 1.
    f'(x)= 0 means sec2(x)= 1 or sec(x)= +/- 1. That only happens at 0 and pi/2 NOT between 0 and 1.

4. Dec 5, 2003 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Huh. That's not the mean value theorem that I'm familiar with. (In fact, it's not true unless the derivative is contiuous.)

The version I'm familiar with is more like:

If [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on [tex][a,b][/tex] then there is some point [tex]c; a \leq c \leq b[/tex] so that [tex]f(c)=\frac{f(a)+f(b)}{2}[/tex]

Now, you know that
    [tex]f(x)=\arctan{x}-x[/tex]
    is continuous.
    If you can show that it is always less than zero for [tex]x>0[/tex] and alwauys greather than zero for [tex]x<0[/tex], and that there must be some point where it is zero (mean value theorem might be usefull here), then you're done.

5. Dec 5, 2003 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you're thinking of the intermediate value theorem:

If [itex]f(x)[/itex] is continuous on the interval [itex][a, b][/itex], then for any [itex]x[/itex] between [itex]f(a)[/itex] and [itex]f(b)[/itex], there exists a [itex]c \in (a, b)[/itex] such that [itex]f(c) = x[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  6. Dec 5, 2003 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess that's what getting too much higher math does to my brain. ...
    Not to mention that it's easy prove that |arctan x| < |x| for (x &neq; 0) without resorting to calculus.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?