Apply Mean Value Theorem to Show arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0

In summary, the user is having trouble applying the Mean Value Theorem to a question and is unsure of where to start. They have been trying to apply the theorem to a problem where x=-pi/2 to pi/2 and there is a point c between -pi/2 and pi/2 where f'(c)=0. However, the user is not familiar with the version of the theorem they are familiar with and is having trouble understanding it.
sonya
oks...im having problems applying the mean value theorem...i understand the concept behind it but whenever i try 2 do a question i have no idea wat 2 do...heres 1 question I've been trying:

Showing all your work, apply the Mean Value Theorem to show
that the function arctan x - x is equal to zero only at x = 0 .

where do i start? thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mean value theorem says that if f is differentiable on (a,b) then for some c between a and b, f'(c)= (f(b)- f(a))/(b-a).

Certainly tan(x) is differentiable for x between -pi/2 and pi/2 so also is tan(x)- x.

Suppose tan(b)- b= 0 for some b (between -pi/2 and pi/2). Apply the mean value theorem between 0 and b.
There must be a point c between 0 and b so that f'(c)= (f(b)- f(a))/(b-a) = 0. But for f(x)= tan(x)- x, f'(x)= sec2(x)- 1.
f'(x)= 0 means sec2(x)= 1 or sec(x)= +/- 1. That only happens at 0 and pi/2 NOT between 0 and 1.

Huh. That's not the mean value theorem that I'm familiar with. (In fact, it's not true unless the derivative is contiuous.)

The version I'm familiar with is more like:

If [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on [tex][a,b][/tex] then there is some point [tex]c; a \leq c \leq b[/tex] so that [tex]f(c)=\frac{f(a)+f(b)}{2}[/tex]

Now, you know that
[tex]f(x)=\arctan{x}-x[/tex]
is continuous.
If you can show that it is always less than zero for [tex]x>0[/tex] and alwauys greather than zero for [tex]x<0[/tex], and that there must be some point where it is zero (mean value theorem might be usefull here), then you're done.

I think you're thinking of the intermediate value theorem:

If [itex]f(x)[/itex] is continuous on the interval [itex][a, b][/itex], then for any [itex]x[/itex] between [itex]f(a)[/itex] and [itex]f(b)[/itex], there exists a [itex]c \in (a, b)[/itex] such that [itex]f(c) = x[/itex].

Last edited:
I guess that's what getting too much higher math does to my brain. ...
Not to mention that it's easy prove that |arctan x| < |x| for (x &neq; 0) without resorting to calculus.

Last edited:

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem applied to prove arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0?

To prove arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0 using the Mean Value Theorem, we first need to show that the function arctan x - x is continuous on the closed interval [0, x] and differentiable on the open interval (0, x). Then, we can use the Mean Value Theorem to find a point c within the interval (0, x) where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints of the interval. If the slope of the tangent line at c is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting (0, 0) and (x, arctan x), then we can conclude that arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0.

What is the significance of proving arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0?

Proving arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0 is significant because it demonstrates the application of the Mean Value Theorem and also shows the relationship between the trigonometric function arctan x and the linear function x. This result can also be used in other mathematical proofs and provides a better understanding of the behavior of the arctan x function at x = 0.

What are the assumptions made when applying the Mean Value Theorem to prove arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0?

The assumptions made when applying the Mean Value Theorem to prove arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0 are that the function arctan x - x is continuous on the closed interval [0, x] and differentiable on the open interval (0, x). Additionally, the function must satisfy the conditions of the Mean Value Theorem, which states that the function must be continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on an open interval within that interval.

Are there any other methods to prove arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0?

Yes, there are other methods to prove arctan x - x = 0 at x = 0, such as using the definition of the derivative or using the properties of the trigonometric functions. However, the Mean Value Theorem is a commonly used and efficient method for proving this result.