1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Value Theorem

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A number a is called a fixed point if f(a)=a. Prove that if f is a differentiable function with f'(x)=1 for all x then f has at most one fixed point.

2. Relevant equations
    In class we have been using Rolle's Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In all honest I wasn't sure where to start but this is what i've come up with so far. Knowing that the slope or f'(x)=1 then the original function must have been something like f(x)= x + k. Considering k as a constant that could exist or could not. Then the function either has no fixed point. Or every point of the function is fixed. Therefore giving us a contradiction in the statement. Meaning that this statement cannot be possible. We worked a couple of these in class and I didn't really know how to approach this problem. What I did kinda makes sense to me although it doesn't seem like this should be the answer. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let [itex]x=a[/itex] be a fixed point of [itex]f[/itex]. Then by the definition of "fixed point", [itex]f(a)=a+k=a[/itex]. Consider 2 cases: [itex]k=0[/itex] and [itex]k\neq 0[/itex].

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hold on a second...The proposition in the problem statement is false. Let [itex]f(x)=x[/itex]. Then [itex]f'(x)=1[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex], and every point is a fixed point!

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4
    Agreed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook