1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mean value theorem

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1
    Suppose that the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem hold for the function
    f : [a, a + h] → R, so that for some θ ∈ (0, 1) we have f (a + h) − f (a) = hf ′ (a + θh).
    Fix f and a, and for each non-zero h write θ(h) for a corresponding value of θ.
    Prove that if f ′′ (a) exists and is non-zero then lim(h→0) θ(h) = 1/2 .

I have no clue how to handle this problem. Could anyone please give me some hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The second derivative is, of course, the derivative of the first derivative. That is,
    [tex]\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}(a)= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f'(a+h)- f'(a)}{h}[/itex]

But you know that [itex]hf'(a+\theta h)= f(a+ h)- f(a)[/itex] so that [itex]f'(a+ \theta h)= (f(a+h)- f(a))/h[/itex].

Replace f'(a+h) and f'(a) with variations on that.

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    Do you mean that from f'(a+θh)=(f(a+h)-f(a))/h,
    we get that f'(a)=(f(a+(1-θ)h)-f(a-θh))/h, f'(a+h)=(f(a+(2-θ)h)-f(a+(1-θ)h))/h
    and than get f''(a) using l'hopital's rule? I doubt I'm doing what you mean, since it's leading me nowhere. Could you please give me some further hints?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook