1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean Value theorem.

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) Let f be a function differentiable two times on the open interval I and a and b two numbers in I

Prove that: [tex]\exists c\in]a,b[:\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}=f'(a)+\frac{b+a}{c}f''(c)[/tex]

2) Let f be a function differentiable three times on the open interval I and a and b two numbers in I.

Prove that: [tex]\exists c\in]a,b[:f(b)=f(a)+(b-a)f'(a)+\frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2}f''(a)+\frac{b-a}{2}f'''(c)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Any tips on how to start please. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What did you try?

Are you reminded of some general result or theorem?

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3
    Well the theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and is differentiable on the open interval (a,b) then there exists a c in the open interval (a,b) such that.

[tex]f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex]

And then i tried counting the second derivative but i couldn't get anything out of it.

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you know Taylor's theorem?

6. Nov 23, 2012 #5
    Yes i know that it can be solved using taylor's theorem easily, but we need to prove it for the a function differentiable twice and a function differentiable 3 times and then we have to prove taylor's theorem for a function differentiable n times. So I thought that since there exists a C in the open interval (a,b) then f(c) will have to be the mean of the f(b)+f(a) and when i take the derivative of that i get f'(c)=(f'(b)-f'(a))/2, but I don't know what to do from here on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook