Proving the Convexity of a Function Using the Mean Value Theorem

In summary: In fact, I'd go so far as to say that IS the question.In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a function is continuously differentiable in a closed interval and has a second derivative in the open interval, then a line that passes through the endpoints of the interval and the function's values will always be greater than the function's values if the second derivative is greater than 0 in the open interval. The proof involves using the Mean Value Theorem and showing that if the line and the function are equal at two points, then the line is greater than the function at all points in the interval. It is shown that the function is a convex function, and therefore the line is always greater than the function.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

f is a continues function in [a,b] and has a second derivative in (a,b). L(x) is a line that goes through (a,f(a)) and (b,f(b)).
Prove that if f''(x)>0 in (a,b) then L(x)>f(x) for every x in (a,b)

Homework Equations

MVT

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all,
[tex] L(x) = f(a) + \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} (x-a) [/tex]
and so
[tex] L(x) - f(x) = f(a) - f(x) + \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} (x-a) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a} = f'(t) [/tex] where t is in (a,b)
and so
[tex] ( L - f)' (x) = f'(t) - f'(x) [/tex]
Now, [tex] ( L - f )' (x) = 0 [/tex] only when [tex] f'(t) = f'(x) [/tex]
And since f''(x)>0 f'(x) is an injective function in (a,b) and so [tex] f'(t) = f'(x) [/tex] only when x=t. and since f''(x)>0 we get a maximum at x=t.
Now, (L-f)(a) = 0 and (L-f)(b) = 0. If for any other x_0 =/= t
(L-f)(x_0)=0 then that would mean that for some x in (a,x_0) and for some x in (x_0,b) (L-f)'(x) = 0, but this is impossible as (L-f)'(x) is injective and we alredy found one point (t) where (L-f)'(x) = 0.
Also, (L-f)(t) > (L-f)(a) = 0 because it's a maximum in (a,b). And so for all x in (a,b) L-f)(x) > 0 => L(x) > f(x).

I felt that that proof was pretty weak, especially towards the end. How can I make it better. And is there any easier way?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint (hopefully): Let f : I --> R be differentiable twice on an open real interval I. f is a convex function on I iff f''(x) >= 0, for every x in I.

This is a proof that f is a convex function. As far as I know, the only way to do it is with a contradiction. Suppose there exists a t in (a,b) with [itex]L(t) \le f(t)[/itex]. That ought to make it feel more cleaner and mathy-like.

Your logic is backwards, you're presupposing (L-f)'(x)=0 for some x. It makes more sense that since (L-f)(a)=0 and (L-f)(b)=0 that there would exist a t in (a,b) such that (L-f)'(t)=0.

"and since f''(x)>0 we get a maximum at x=t." If g'(x)=0 and g''(x)<0 then g(x) is a local maximum. (L-f)'(t)=0 and f''(x)>0 doesn't tell you 'something gets maximized' (I'm not sure what you're saying gets maximized).

Anyhow, since (L-f)''(x)=-f(x)<0 (L-f)(t) is a local maximum.

Last edited:
radou said:
Hint (hopefully): Let f : I --> R be differentiable twice on an open real interval I. f is a convex function on I iff f''(x) >= 0, for every x in I.

Unfortunately that's not a hint. That's precisely the inference he's been asked to show.

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove other important theorems in calculus, such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Rolle's Theorem. It is also used to solve optimization problems and to find the derivative of a function at a specific point.

3. What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The Mean Value Theorem requires that the function is continuous on the closed interval and differentiable on the open interval. Additionally, the function must have the same values at the endpoints of the interval.

4. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous functions on a closed interval. If a function does not meet these criteria, the theorem cannot be used.

5. What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving problems in calculus. It also helps to establish the relationship between the derivative and the slope of a function, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of functions in calculus.